Amplifier for passive monitors? Sub?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Le Roux

Looking to upgrade my monitor speakers.
Have been considering building ProAc Studio 100 clones.

Also looking for a sub.

I record into a Lynx Studio Two 'A' soundcard, and only have one free stereo output channel.
(I use the other for headphones)

Are there any amps that i can feed one stereo channel in, and it will have left, right, and a sub output?

I can add another Lynx card for additional output channels, and run two amps, but for that price maybe I should upgrade to apogee or something else with better A/D converters?

Any thoughts?

Should I go with active monitors?

If it matters, I record using cubase.
Thanks

there are a few ways to achieve a 2.1 system from a stereo out. obviously you can go with a complete active system like jbl 4328's with their jbl sub.  YOu could buy a powered sub from JBL, tannoy whoever and use that along side your passive monitors. The sub will have left and right I/O. You go into the sub from your lynx  then use the left and right amps to feed an amp for your passive speakers.  Then if you want to go complete diy you need to find a plate amp that has balanced I/O. the  plate amp is powr amp  you would find in the back of a powered sub. From there build your sub and connect the plate amp up, next build your speakers and connect them up to an amp.

Le Roux said:
Looking to upgrade my monitor speakers.
Have been considering building ProAc Studio 100 clones

Hi,
Im collecting stuff at the moment to build some ProAc Studio 100 clones,
let me know if you need any info or help in that.

Maybe you can help also

My best regards

Thanks all for the replies.

I didn't know you could pass through a sub, and have a line-level out.
This solves my problem, and what has been recommended to me, is most likely what I will be purchasing.

Here is the speakers I will be building. Not quite ProAc's, but very close.
http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/Studio101.htm

Thanks again

Le Roux said:
Here is the speakers I will be building. Not quite ProAc's, but very close.
http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/Studio101.htm

Thanks again

And Why don't you build the ProAc Studio 100 instead of those?

it's not hard

Those are supposed to be a clone of the ProAc's apparently, but the crossovers are slightly different to correct for some issue's the ProAc's apparently have at certain frequency's??
I tried to find where I read about this, I think it was at diyaudio, but not sure.

Either way, I think its a cool project, and have my mind set on building them.

Neil

Le Roux said:
Those are supposed to be a clone of the ProAc's apparently, but the crossovers are slightly different to correct for some issue's the ProAc's apparently have at certain frequency's??
I tried to find where I read about this, I think it was at diyaudio, but not sure.

Either way, I think its a cool project, and have my mind set on building them.

Neil

ProAc's are used by countless engineers around the world,
never heard anyone complaining about problems on "certain frequencies"

Good luck with the build, although that's not a proac's clone,it's another speaker,
but this one is:

http://www.audiostereo.pl/tuning-proac-studio-100-by-mcgyver_22481.html#k

Latest posts

Back