Latest DIY - an album!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmp

So after building a lot of recording equipment after the past few years, I finally finished recording an album, a year in the making.
http://danandallhisfaults.bandcamp.com/
I was lucky enough to collaborate with some really great friends making the recording. Thanks to everyone here and this great forum. Almost all of the preamps and processing to stems was done using gear I built - then I had help from a really talented professional with final mixing and mastering, which was a huge learning experience in of itself. I learned so much while making this that I would have done it all differently.
Thanks again and I'd love to hear what you guys think.

Attachments

• frontpic.jpg
    frontpic.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 51
Awesome. This is what the gear is for, right? And the songs are great.

I've put more of my bad playing to disc since I finished my last preamp build a few months ago than I did in the two years before. It's energizing, and a great learning experience, testing new gear.

What of your DIY did you use on this album?

Thanks guys.
I used all the preamps I'd built of the past year for tracking - api, ssl 9k, UA1108s, Neve 1290s, Jensen 990s.
A little PP EQNs on acoustic guitar. I also used the studer 169 EQs a little bit, which are really nice. But generally, I didn't do much EQ on the stems for rough mixes.
Compression with 1176 rev D on vocals and Neve 33609 on drums and guitars. PP La3a on bass, which I had just finished building. And finally, I used a stairway for an echo chamber.
I hadn't built any mics yet for this project, but next time I will be able to use some diy tube mics.

Latest posts

Back