Metcal SP200

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boji

Picked up a used metcal from fleabay today for about 185 + shipping.

I figured if I'm going to build a mixer and make 1000+ connections,  I ought to invest in a decent iron.

All the reviews say its temperature stability under load is second to none.

I've never used one so...I'm kinda excited to try it out!

Edit: Anyone have a soldering iron horror story or saved-the-day story? Do you have a metcal? What do you think of it compared to say, a JBC or Pace?

boji said:
Picked up a used metcal from fleabay today for about 185 + shipping.

I figured if I'm going to build a mixer and make 1000+ connections,  I ought to invest in a decent iron.

All the reviews say its temperature stability under load is second to none.

I've never used one so...I'm kinda excited to try it out!

Edit: Anyone have a soldering iron horror story or saved-the-day story? Do you have a metcal? What do you think of it compared to say, a JBC or Pace?

I've had a Metcal SP200 for over a decade. We have a handful of them, and their bigger brother the MX-500, as well as a couple of the units that replaced the SP200.

They make Wellers and Hakkos look like Radio Shack specials. I am not kidding. I see a lot of people posting, "I love my Hakko 936" but I'm pretty sure these folks have never used a Metcal.

Buy a handful of different-sized tips in the proper temperature.

Remember: TURN OFF the tool when you're not using it. Since it gets to working temperature in about ten seconds, you don't have to wait to start soldering.

-a

Thanks guys, arriving soon!

btw, I sent metcal an email asking if I could hook up a foot pedal to toggle the AC, and they said no problem.

Andy, does the SP200 have an autoshutoff feature?  If not I'll make one. :)

Nice catch.
Yes Metcal looks like the Rolls of Solder irons.
People that love Hakko and Weller, is because everyone loves what he has
and what they can afford, so long live Hakko and Weller  :D EDIT: AND those cheap chinese stuff...
I'd love to get one as well, WITH the Tip extraction option.
Fed up of all that fumes.
Got myself a cheapo Chinese one that has that option, really an upgrade if you ask me.

Just for the sake of wiki-fying this in case anyone here searches on metcal:

From Jason @ Metcal:

"[The SP-200 has] an ‘auto-sleep’ workstand so when tip and hand-pc placed in workstand cradle the system does go to lower power & thus lower temperature where the intent is to help extend tip life by reducing temperature when tip is not in use (but it does not shut the system off; SP200 does not have any timeout features)"

Hi guys,

Thanks to this thread I picked up an SP200 from a fellow forum member (Thanks Nathan!), just in time to start a new project.  Even with an old and unsuitable tip it is a huge step up from Hakko 936. 

I've ordered 2 of the new SSC tips and the WS2 Autosleep work stand, should have them by Wednesday.

I was introduced to some Kester silver solder a little while back by Neve tech John Musgrave at Capitol, 62/36/02.  I fell in love with how it wets so I'll pick up some of that too before Wednesday.  Expensive but not an issue for one off projects.

Cheers,
Ruairi

ruairioflaherty said:
I was introduced to some Kester silver solder a little while back by Neve tech John Musgrave at Capitol, 62/36/02.

Mouser carries the AIM brand of solder. Their price for silver solder is significantly less than Kester and others. I've used their silver solder for at least a few years now.

Gold said:
ruairioflaherty said:
I was introduced to some Kester silver solder a little while back by Neve tech John Musgrave at Capitol, 62/36/02.

Mouser carries the AIM brand of solder. Their price for silver solder is significantly less than Kester and others. I've used their silver solder for at least a few years now.

Thanks for the tip Paul, I'll check into that now.  Have you compared with the Kester?  I have 5 or 6 rolls of different stuff here but on one very tough job at Capitol the Kester silver just flowed like nothing else,

I haven't tried the Kester. I could send you a little of the AIM to check out. I'd be interested to know how it compares.

Thanks Paul.  Of course as usual I realized that I really didn't know that much about different solder formulations and particularly the flux compositions and how they affect flow and wetting.

The silver AIM I can find on Mouser is "Rosin core mildly activated", the Kester 44 that I used at Capitol is activated.  I do wonder how they would compare.  http://www.mouser.com/Tools-Supplies/Soldering/Solder/_/N-b11qq?P=1z0xha9Z1yywssoZ1z0xgwx&Keyword=AIM+SN62%2fPb36%2fAg02+solder&FS=True.

I have a regular roll of Kester 44 60/40 and it doesn't wet as well as the 62/36/02 I used. 

I'm not really interested in Silver for it's mystical quantum alignment properties, I just want to solder fast, cleanly and reliably!

I've sent a mail with my address.

Cheers,
Ruairi

ruairioflaherty said:
I'm not really interested in Silver for it's mystical quantum alignment properties, I just want to solder fast, cleanly and reliably!
You only get the mystical properties if its used by Californian virgins.  ;D

I've been meaning to try some different fluxes. Mouser only sells the one type from MG Chemicals as far as i can tell. That's what I have. McMaster-Carr sells a few different types. Activated cleans better but is more harsh than mildly active. I think activated is what plumbers use on copper pipe.  On old connections I could see how the Kester might work better. I keep flux around for troublesome spots.

ricardo said:
ruairioflaherty said:
You only get the mystical properties if its used by Californian virgins.  ;D

Well I'm in California so we're off to a good start :)

> activated is what plumbers use

No, they use (or used) a much harsher "acid" flux.

Most of the active/activated rosin fluxes are similar. Used to be some brands were a little stronger. These days you get what you get.

First night soldering with a new tip, and the Kester 44 silver solder.  Just superb, easily the cleanest work I've ever done.  The tip I ordered is still a little too chunky so I've ordered another due here on Friday.

Thanks to all for the info and recommendation.

Back