Skylar's debut album—out now.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skylar

An Inch Equals 200 Miles

I've been working on this for an embarrassingly long amount of time...but it has finally released today.
Almost the entire recording signal chain (pre audio interface) down to the cabling is DIY (+ some DIY gear on the mixing side).

It's a prog rock concept album about space abduction. Doesn't get much nerdier than that!
Click the floating cosmonaut.

cover art by Jeremy Geddes

I think I just found my next solitary road trip soundtrack. 8)

Really nice. Some excellent composition, and audio quality is good enough (for earbuds at work anyway).

I'm usually into heavier prog (metal/post hardcore), but this was quite nice.

I'm impressed.  I got to Terraforming and really loved the jazz chords, really nice piano work.  I'm listening on laptop speakers and it still sounds clear and open.  Nice work.

Truly great work, Skylar! I'm also usually more into more abrasive music, but this really sucked me in. The vocals are particularly ear-catching to me, lots of nuances and texture there. Some of the diminished chords and vocal runs reminded me of (don't hate me) silverchair, neon ballroom or so.

Great work! Seems to be well worth the long road you traveled to complete it.

I had the inside scoop since I mastered it. It was very well recorded and a pleasure to work on.

I can't thank Paul enough for the work he did. Just an outstanding engineer.
And thanks, Paul, for answering all my questions and being gracious with my format requests.

Where's the like button.

I've listened to it while trace routing my pcb's.
I had to stop working a few times to absorb the pretty textures / arrangements.  :)

I just got a shipment of vinyl in.
Something tells me these are going to sell fast due to the cover art.
So, if you're interested in the music, now's the time.

An_Inch_Equals_200_Miles-Vinyl-01-med.jpg

Great stuff. Weldone. Very good singing.

I loved the piano work on Terraforming. Is that you?

Is it real (swelling) guitar or synth on What's with this machine?

craigmorris74 said:
Great music!  The vinyl looks beautiful!  Who did you get to do the pressing?
Craig

Record Industry in The Netherlands.

sahib said:
Great stuff. Weldone. Very good singing.

I loved the piano work on Terraforming. Is that you?

Is it real (swelling) guitar or synth on What's with this machine?

Thanks Sahib! I played all the instruments with the exception of about 50% of the drums, 80% of the bass guitar, and 100% of the violin.
The swelling guitar is a real guitar. I played the melody backwards, then reversed the audio in post to get the swell "effect."

i missed this post back in april, but i'm glad i saw / hear it this time. 
skylar, excellent work.  of course i'm a fan of floyd , ziggy (bowie), and radiohead with some jazzier piano work and quite a few conceptual albums and ambient stuff and your sound just puts me in that "mood".  good stuff!!
really digging the vocals skylar!
best,
grant

Skylar

i really love your packaging.

I'm also in the process of recording an album with my band New Soul Rebel here in the UK.

Would really value any advice you can give me on the best (and simplest) way of packaging up our album like you have here.

How did you get it on spotify?/Itunes?Google?Amazon?
What's involved in getting the songs registered?
How do you copyright them?
How much does it cost to get all that vinyl done?

Great work mate, and congratulations on getting it finished and finally produced. Sounds great.

Regards
Matt

Latest posts

Back