Classic API VP2X with a twist.....

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darnell

So, anyway....

I am trying to build a pre using CAPI's VP2x circuit and some parts i have left from some eisen builds. I sent emails to both JLM and Jeff at Classic. Jeff at CAPI suggested i also post here.

This is the email i sent to him. Any insight would be much appreciated.

"Just wondering if you could give me a little insight as to how to implement some new JLM J99v 16's i just bought with my JLM 1:4's into your API VP 25 series build.  I have a Cinemag CMOQ-2S for output that I would like to use.  I am looking for what this guy ended up with from his build.

http://www.tapeop.com/reviews/734/

I tried to copy info from an old Eisen Audio Input/Trans/DOA list located here. 

http://www.eisenaudio.com/products/diy500mkii/

When I applied some of the info from the Eisen site cross-referenced to the CAPI VP25 schematic (Rev 1) I came up with.....

Here's the schematic

R1-N/A
R2-10K
R3-N/A
R4-10K
R5-N/A
R6-200
R7-6.8K
R8-6.8K
R9-150
R10-560 (kind of guessed at this value)
R11-560 (kind of guessed at this value)
R12-68
R13-N/A
*(100k added across OT Primary Red and Brown)
**(51 added between OUT of A1 and +C10)

C1-N/A
C2-N/A
C3-N/A
C4-47pF
C5-N/A
C6-N/A
C7-47uF
C8-47uF
C9-120uF
C10-470uF
C11-N/A
C12-470uF
***220uf on input to a1 to ground. Should this be bipolar?  Can i put this cap where C6 would normally be?

Def want to keep the attenuator on the output.  Wouldn't mind an impedance switch instead of the mute, so any thoughts on that would be great too :)  At the very least, I was hoping to get a "looks good", or a "if you build this you'll blow up all the expensive parts" response. 

Thanks in advance.  Appreciate the great products."

Daryl Rabidoux

Wire a series / parallel switch for the primary windings of the input transformer , should be able to find it on google
same idea is used on gtr pick ups , may not be dramatic or make some difference only on certain mics / sources ,
you could also play around with resister values to change the input impedance , for a while companies were putting on pots
to do this , I don't believe it's ideal and doesn't seem to have become standard fare . depending on what you want or expect
changing the impedance to do .

Latest posts

Back