Polarisation voltage for LX34 capsule

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RuudNL

I have the intention to do some experiments with a LX34 capsule.
I am wondering what the nominal and the maximal polarisation voltage can (or should)  be, without the risk of destroying the capsule. Personally I was thinking of 60 volts.

I asked the manufacturer and got this answer:

"For the LDC capsules LX34-1 , the power always is 48V DC Phantom Power."

That seems obvious to me, but does not say anything about the polarisation (bias) voltage...

60VDC is probably going to be the upper limit.

Less voltage results in less output, and a lower S/N ratio for a given amplifier circuit.

Without filling in some crucial information, such as membrane thickness and tensioning, it is not possible to say what maximum voltage the capsule might take. If you go too high the membrane will be sucked onto the backplate and the charge will collapse. With a 6-micron membrane this will not usually result in any permanent damage, unless the voltage is particularly extreme. I do not know whether the same can be said for the 3- or 4-micron membranes that many of these Chinese capsules seem to be fitted with.

My advice is: if you want to go higher, proceed with caution and increase gradually. You will hear a loss of low end as the tension becomes too great for the membrane to respond accurately to low frequencies. This will happen at some point before the membrane is sucked onto the backplate, and crisis should be averted.

(EDIT: strikethrough)

FYI,

I received an email from LXMIC with a photograph of an edge terminated "C12" type capsule denoted the LX34-4. It doesn't appear on the website though.

No, it isn't.
I don't know where you got your information from, but the capsule I was talking about is an externally polarized capsule!
However: it seems LxMic is dead nowadays. I can't find them on the internet anymore.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/LX34-1-LDC-Mic-Capsule-33mm-Diamater-Gold-plated-Diaphragm-MIC-Free-Shipping/507824_494616287.html

Back