Gates STA-LEVEL point to point?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilfungo

I would build point to point Gates STA-LEVEL ....
I found this layout in the forum
Do any of you tried to build it?
Can you tell me if it is correct?
thanks

Attachments

• Sta level.jpg
    Sta level.jpg
    514.9 KB · Views: 459
I seem to remember someone put this up not long ago and that was where the thread ended... Just compare this to the schematic to locate any errors...
Jay

6386....  Ive not been around ....are they making those again did I hear but did I hear they were no good , I may have imagined it all

Thanks to all for the answers
But someone tell me if this layout is correct?
Can you tell me where to connect the transformer in and out?
thanks

As I mentioned earlier, cross referencing with the schematic will reveal if this layout is correct; this will also show you where the input and output transformers are connected. You're probably best getting in touch with the guy that posted the layout to see if he actually built it...

It seems it is all there. Input transformer is connected to the XLR in, and then goes to the dual pot input controls.

The output transformer connections are also shown. Pay attention closely and you will see it. It is a hole in the upper middle part of the chassis, with brown, blue and dark red wires.

While you solder all parts together, following the layout, go looking into the schematics for each wire and component, to make sure it is allright. Take the time.

There are errors on the layout. I have spot a big error arroun the 270k resistors/6AL5 tube/75k resistor parts. Probably there are more. Also, I don't find this layout very inteligent. You might be able to make it work, but you could do it with far less wire, and much shorter signal path. It is important when dealing with high impedance signal.

The 200k screen resistors also should be 150k like in the original schematics.

Take extra care when messing with high voltage and wrong layouts. Follow the schem, make your own layout, I would say. Learn in between. Don't get killed.

emrr said:
You have to wonder, since the 6386 has been changed.
Agreed. I wouldn't build this as-is. 6386 and 6bc8 have very very different characteristics, and yet the anode and cathode resistors have not been changed at all. Nor has the timing chain.  If you want a 6bc8 based circuit, why not go with a modified Altec 436B aka EMI RS124.

Latest posts

Back