Seek superb microphone capsules ...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gentlevoice1

Hello  ;)

I'm looking for two very good omni microphone capsules (capacitor) 12-15 mm in diameter for use in a slightly modified pressure microphone.

Must have a natural tonal balance, a warm & rich, yet detailed sound and no audibly discernible peaks and resonances. Also it must be able to go down to below 10 Hz - i.e. the capsule itself has a frequency response that allows for that. 

Are such microphone capsules available? I'd appreciate any suggestions you may have - also if you have some superb capsules for sale that fit the above description ...

Greetings,

Jesper

P.S.: Just remembered to say that I'm looking for a single membrane capsule ...

Uh ... no suggestions?

I really would appreciate inputs from people who have more knowledge about this than I have - wonder if I asked an "impossible" question ...?

Best regards,

Jesper

There is a Panasonic capsule that is pretty flat :

Panasonic WM-66AY

I don't know if it will meet all your criteria but might get you started?

Best,
Abe

I bet this capsule actually goes lower that 20hz...

http://www.panasonic.com/industrial/components/pdf/em06_wm61_a_b_dne.pdf

considering its almost ruler flat at 20hz. But they don't show more than 20-20,000hz cause weza canza hearza thsoe extreeems. Least I can't.

Hi all,

Have had a computer breakdown for the last couple of days so have had less access to the internet or thoughts going in other directions ...

But now my computer is partially up and running again so can reply now...

@kevinkace & tskguy: My reason for seeking a capsule that goes below 10 Hz is that healers' energies (which I'll among other things will be recording) typically vibrate between 4-8 Hz when they are healing. So I need a capsule and recording electronics (I can do this myself) which goes down to these frequencies. Energies as such often are also referred to as Qi in eastern traditions.

@abechap024: Thanks for suggesting the Panasonic's but I'd prefer a capacitor (condenser) microphone. I guess that's a good point to clarify - my apology if this was not clear in my first post ...

Might you have suggestions here?

Best regards,

Jesper

The most superb omni capsules in the known universe are the B&Ks.  It's not clear if you will be using the mike on a stand or on the floor as a PZM.  The 4191 is best for stand use; 4192 for PZM use.  If these are too expensive, the older 4133 & 4134 are available S/H.

GRAS probably make capsules of equal quality but I am less familiar with their stuff.  Nothing else even approaches this quality.

Hey ;-)

& thank you for replying again!

@ricardo: I contacted G.R.A.S. today and they suggested I spoke with DPA microphones, however, the prices are too high for me at this point in time (I took the liberty of asking on the 4006 capsule  :p). I need to learn more about matters before investing what for me is quite some money in capsules.

I've also made searches on B&K microphones on ebay, however, their microphones seem to be sold one at a time - but will keep on looking, though, and also contact B&K to hear if they might have some capsules - sort of lying around - might be lucky!

Tim Campbell also was very helpful indeed in clarifying some questions I had - so I would say that I have been brought "forward" by everyone's help - thanks!

Hmmm... Just in case B&K capsules may also be outside of my price range right now, or just not available - would there be like a second choice that has much of the same qualities but at a (much?) lower price?

Thanks for reading and maybe replying ;)

Jesper

gentlevoice1 said:
Hmmm... Just in case B&K capsules may also be outside of my price range right now, or just not available - would there be like a second choice that has much of the same qualities but at a (much?) lower price?
Nothing else even approaches this quality.
I wouldn't even bother with ACO and other B&K copies.

Why don't you try making a measurement mike from Panasonic WM61A capsules?  They are electret and 6mm but quite good.  The main difference in your application is that the noise won't quite be as good as the 12mm B&K with its 200V.

The Behringer ECM8000 used these originally but now use a cheaper, less consistent capsule.  I use a ECM8000 for recording.  It is very neutral though not as neutral as a 4133.  For my applications (stage voiceovers & effects), the noise is good enough.

In general, smaller omnis are nearer 'perfect', which is why you need to go to a cheap 6mm electret capsule to get near(??) B&K 12mm performance.

If the WM61A doesn't work out, you will have spent maybe $10 in all and you'll still have a useful measurement mike.

Hi Ricardo,

Thanks again for replying ... I'll consider the WM61A capsules as it could be an interesting starting point to learn more about microphone design ... so maybe ... need to consider ...

I can see on the internet - and here at groupdiy - that there are also some posts about how these capsules can be modified (e.g. the Linkwitz modification). However, I haven't found any modifications where the FET inside the WM61A itself is removed ... Might you know of such a thread or maybe it hasn't been done?

Greetings,

Jesper

Oups - seems Marik's thread on homerecording.org also discusses removing the FET.... So no need to reply to this ;-)

Latest posts

Back