how do I power a remote recording truck?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigugly

I'm putting together a small recording rig. It's a 32 input Pro Tools system with a small amount of outboard gear and 2 Mackie Onyx1640i. Instead of hauling this around and loading/unloading it I am thinking about putting it into a panel van or step van. I've built studios before so that wont be a problem but I've got no clue how I should provide power to this thing. I can think of 3 scenarios:

1. big ass inverter and keep the engine running

2. get a small generator and run that

3. pull power from where ever I'm at

any and all ideas are welcome.

Thanks,

James

I have seen a few different mobile trucks at my work place over the years to demo things, respectively from Euphonix and SSL. Both trucks had a generator to run things and both trucks also had an option to plug into our grid via 220.  when you Euphonix came in we plugged into our electrical panel and it worked real well.  It was even easier with SSL as they powered their own truck via a massive generator.

220v & regulator  , stove plugs are often available and can do , 50 amps oughta do
but spec your gear , have a few adaptors for voltages and house differences
A generator will help but may need a grounding rod , Don't assume , good luck !

and , of course separate , audio & A/C or other power

A generator sounds right to me also. I live in a somewhat rural area and reliable power on location is sometimes a problem. So, how does this sound? A 5KW generator to the truck. Inside the truck a large isolation xfmr that feeds a UPS for the gear. Lights and HVAC get power directly from the generator before the xfmr. I'll also set up a tie in for 240VAC fed from the location power that can be switch in instead of the genny.

Stones Mobile,  not a bad list,

1970: Led Zeppelin III - Led Zeppelin
    1971: Sticky Fingers - The Rolling Stones
    1971: Zoso.svg (Led Zeppelin IV) - Led Zeppelin
    1972: Machine Head - Deep Purple
    1972: Exile on Main St. - The Rolling Stones
    1972: Happy to Meet – Sorry to Part - Horslips
    1973: Houses of the Holy - Led Zeppelin
    1973: Live Dates - Wishbone Ash
    1973: Penguin - Fleetwood Mac
    1973: Mystery To Me - Fleetwood Mac
    1973: Who Do We Think We Are - Deep Purple
    1974: Burn - Deep Purple
    1975: Physical Graffiti - Led Zeppelin
    1975: Live! - Bob Marley & The Wailers
    1975: Run with the Pack - Bad Company
    1977: Live! - Status Quo
    1977: Moonflower - Santana
    1979: Life in a Day - Simple Minds
    1981: Rocket 88 - Rocket 88
    1985: A Physical Presence - Level 42
    1990: No Prayer for the Dying - Iron Maiden

Option #3.
Unless you are out in the middle of nowhere recording an acoustic act, if there's power to run the band, there will be power to run you.
Have a BUNCH of power plug options (including CamLocs) plus "Trico" clamps, and bare tails.
Best,
Bruno2000

Most trucks have cam lock connectors used for tapping local 220 or connecting to a quartz controlled generator.  Regulated power is one thing, but clean 60 hz is something else. Very important, especially if there is ever a video/sync element to your recording work.

I wouldn't expect to have good results from a little putt putt generator.

mushy said:
Most trucks have cam lock connectors used for tapping local 220 or connecting to a quartz controlled generator.  Regulated power is one thing, but clean 60 hz is something else. Very important, especially if there is ever a video/sync element to your recording work.

The only equipment that REALLY needs accurate 60 Hz (or 50 Hz) power these days would be a vintage Hammond organ.  No other "pro" gear that I know of syncs to line frequency.
Best,
Bruno2000

bruno2000 said:
mushy said:

The only equipment that REALLY needs accurate 60 Hz (or 50 Hz) power these days would be a vintage Hammond organ.  No other "pro" gear that I know of syncs to line frequency.
Best,
Bruno2000

ever hear a hammond detuned?

pucho812 said:
bruno2000 said:
mushy said:

The only equipment that REALLY needs accurate 60 Hz (or 50 Hz) power these days would be a vintage Hammond organ.  No other modern "pro" gear that I know of syncs to line frequency.
Best,
Bruno2000

Yes, several times when the genny was running off freq.  It took a minute for the musicians to figure it out.  One time, we had to run a 300 meter extension cord just for the B3.
Best,
Bruno2000

These or something similar  are good,.........and as clean as mains AC .......there is no need to worry about frequency stabilisation unless you're overloading it !

Quality modern generators  are very stable...........cheap builders ones are not.

7kw gives a good overhead (in case anyone boils the kettle) !

http://www.genpoweruk.co.uk/Evopower_LDG6000S_Silenced_Diesel_Standby_Generator_5kw.html

Good price and economical...the only certain reliable option IMHO.
Other than a 32A cable  extension to the property your recording at.

bruno2000 said:
pucho812 said:
bruno2000 said:
mushy said:

The only equipment that REALLY needs accurate 60 Hz (or 50 Hz) power these days would be a vintage Hammond organ.  No other modern "pro" gear that I know of syncs to line frequency.
Best,
Bruno2000

Yes, several times when the genny was running off freq.  It took a minute for the musicians to figure it out.  One time, we had to run a 300 meter extension cord just for the B3.
Best,
Bruno2000

they do sound funny don't they?

Latest posts

Back