Accidental Purchase....(of a lathe)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timothytitus88

I accidentally pressed on bid now, and then bid again, and then bid again.

The auction adrenalin just got me and I bought this.....

My%20lathe.JPG

I have been thinking a small lathe would be great to have for some time.

I am finishing off a DIY CNC router (details to come soon!) which will machine brass mic bodies with its 4th axis. But I had been thinking a lathe will be handy to machine the bottom bit that will hold the connector. And really, I just needed another piece of machinery to add to the pile..........

It is a Maximat V10-P, although it does not come with the milling head that it must have had when new.

In my very quick bit of searching before the above mentioned accident, it seems to have a better reputation than all of the new Chinese lathes. Made in Austria (apparently)

No idea of the real condition....... Fingers crossed!

Of course, I will be fitting servos, and CNCing it (one day)

Anyone know of them and have any pointers on how to learn about turning?

Cheers,

Tim

Hi Timothy,

Looks like a whole new adventure! I got started with a lathe at the beginning of this year and could not imagine life without it now.

Watch some videos on YouTube  - lots of good stuff if you search for 'lathe tutorial', or similar.

Also, if you are planning on doing small stuff, I would recommend checking out some books on model railway engineering. The guys who make working scale models of steam trains really have this covered very well.

Buy some scrap brass or aluminium rod to play with, get stuck in and make some mistakes. Don't spend too much on tools until you know what you are going to need.

Wear goggles!

Don't worry about servos and CNC - just learn the basics by hand to start with, and you'll have a really useful tool.

Hope that helps!

ooohh  :) DIY CNC router...I have one as well. No 4th axis though. Very very nice. We need some video or pictures.
And you thought crashing your router was scary wait till you crash a cnc lathe!!! UGLY and EXPENSIVE!!
Eric

Eric... I saw your video of drilling the mic capsule.... I would love to see some more pics of your machine!

Yep - For me DIY CNC is just as much an obsession as building audio gear. It sinks plenty of $$$ and sadly one takes time away from the other.

But the exciting thing is that my wife and daughter have just gone away for 10 days (of course I will miss them) and I have been planning a "DIY extravaganza" to take place during this time where I am going to do nothing but eat takeaway pizza and finish the machine I designed two years ago. The goal is then to make the panels for some audio projects I have on the go (G9's in particular).

The fourth axis does not exist yet.... but it is a definite plan.

I will soon put up a post to share my "extravaganza" with the lab. I am still trying to work out the best way to put a website for it.

On the lathe.... It really was a spur of the moment purchase. Now I need to work out how to lift it up a flight of stairs to my workshop (any strong guys in Perth?)

Ill wait and see if I get any tooling with it, and then buy some books and things. Thanks for the advice Zebra50, and sure, Ill be learning how to use it manually before I even think of fitting any servos to it. The last thing I will want to do is damage it, as I believe parts are hard to come by.

Cheers,

Tim

I'm a bit behind schedule on my CNC extravaganza, because picking up the lathe today turned out to be a doozie.

I have never had to move anything so heavy.

3 beefy guys and we could not lift it. but with some ingenuity and the use of trolleys and ramps, we got there.

but  :p ;D :eek: , it is a thing of beauty. I was a bit worried about lack of tooling, because these lathes are hard to get parts for, but when I turned up, the lady said "i found this box. i think its full of lathe parts so you should have it".

The mother load.

3 and 4 jaw chucks. 3 and 4 jaw micro chucks. heaps of tooling. hold steadies. a big face plate. stuff I done know what it is. And except for the surface rust, it is all hardly used.

Some scotch brite and it will be like new. Very very exciting.

Im gonna join up with the maximat V10 yahoo group, and find some manuals. and i'm even gonna look into a night school course for turning.

Latest posts

Back