pick and part audio junk yard

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

Spent last week hunting down an obsolete a/d chip for an eventide h3000. got me thinking we audio people need a pick and pull junk yard like they do for cars.

apex is my second home and me and don go way back. but lately I haven't be able to find what I need there and to be honest I don't want to buy a whole pcb or unit just to hack for a chip, but you are correct as apex is like that. Have you ever seen their second warehouse, it's even more crazy but completely clean as no one is usually allowed inside.

Holy molly.

The new apex website makes me feel so lonely and isolated down here in the most isolated city in the world

If that place was in Perth I would live there (almost).

T

and to think that is clean. before it used to be dirty,I miss the dirty days it kept out the riff raff  and I knew where I could find anything and what was in the piles of stuff.

It used to be like that along Canal St. in NYC.  Now it's just Leeds in Crooklyn, and I have had to exchange a simple 150 VAC meter two times now because the mechanics are corroded.  Non mechanical items are sweet.

The AD chip should be a rather simple source at one of the silicon obsoletiums.
Mike

pucho812 said:
apex is my second home and me and don go way back. but lately I haven't be able to find what I need there and to be honest I don't want to buy a whole pcb or unit just to hack for a chip, but you are correct as apex is like that. Have you ever seen their second warehouse, it's even more crazy but completely clean as no one is usually allowed inside.

Glad to see they cleaned it up a bit. It got to the point where going there was a waste of time. It makes sense that there is a special area where only the insiders get to go...
  I like Apex Jr. since it is oriented more toward audio. Need to make a trip down there with some disposable cash...
http://www.apexjr.com/index.html

never been to apexjr. :( If had edac/elco connections I would be all over it.

ruairioflaherty said:
pucho812 said:
Have you ever seen their second warehouse, it's even more crazy but completely clean as no one is usually allowed inside.

Tell me more.
they have a second warehouse down the street from the apex location, about half a block up. No one is allowed inside usually but sweet talk to don or in my case have been going to apex for ever and boom once in a while you get the golden ticket.

Whatever happened to Jay Jacobs in the South SF Bay area - he had various warehouses that, while not openly accessable to the general public, were explorable if you asked him nicely. Had cubic acres of wonderful junk and a particularly good source of strange ADCs, DACs etc. One of his trading names was "Sharon Industries". Nice guy, decent prices.
M

Just found this thread and would like to respond...

Pucho812 you should really come visit my warehouse, here's a little teaser 2 minutes 47 seconds
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6DNTYm7kWA

Steve @ Apex Jr

this is an old post. The chip is one of 2 a/d chips that are on the input side.  They are prone to heat failure. In a well ventilated rack there will not be a problem but in the case of when this was written, The unit was in a rack with other outboard reverbs and delays all one right after another without any space inbetween. This caused it the a/d to fail and although the unit would function there was audible noise, sounded like random white noise on the left side audio path. traced it down to there and once replaced it was fixed. However this chip is old and I have yet to find a sub so beware.

Back