Update - Finally a video..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0kb0iP5uhc
I think it is time to show you guys my latest DIY!
Background (skip it if you like):
I have three obsessions: Recording gear, DIY CNC and woodwork. There are never enough hours in the day. I designed this machine 2 years ago and started to collect offcuts of the extrusion and other bits and pieces together, and then for a while, not much really happened.
Until this year. Six months ago I thought “this is getting ridiculous – I am getting nothing done”. So I took a more proactive approach to my hobbies. I started to frantically buy all the bits and pieces for the audio gear that this place has inspired me to build. And I decided that I had to finish my latest CNC so I can machine all of my panels (and eventually mic bodies).
Then a few months back I learned that my wife and daughter would be doing a little traveling, and I would have 10 whole days where I could do what I want. I decided that this was the deadline to have my machine finished. So until now, and to the slight detriment to marital harmony and other things I should really be doing, I have been spending any spare moment building and getting ready for what I have called my “CNC Extravaganza”.
The CNC Extravaganza has just started, and I think it is time to start sharing it with you guys.
By the end of next weekend I am hoping to have machined my first G9 panels, and with a bit of luck panels for some 9k, API and one bottle pres. And why not some 1176’s and LA2A’s as well. The boards are etched and the parts are waiting.
This is the CAD design as of two years ago. A lot of it is “tab and slot” laser cut steel construction. The gantry is fixed, which makes the thing a lot more rigid, which is important for machining metals. Many of the parts were salvaged from going in the bin (offcuts, the electrical cabinet, etc) and many were purchased from our favourite online auction house. If I use “cheap” as a description, it came from ebay.
I fully assembled all of the mechanical parts to check that everything works, and then pulled it apart for painting. I then made a pretty dodgy stand to hold the electrical cabinet and keep the thing mobile. Here it is after being painted. The X axis is assembled and all the rest is laid out (on my first woodworking CNC) waiting for the final assembly:
Here are some of the steel parts, most of which is for the carriage and Z axis:
Gantry Added along with the Y axis carriage:
Next was to assemble the Z axis, with energy chain and spindle. On the kind advice from Pete from grand master audio I decided to splash out on a mist coolant system. He also advised me on some tooling, of which I now have plenty ready to go. The spindle is a cheap 1.5KW, but I think I got lucky – it seems to spin nice and smoothly.
Close-up of the Z axis:
More wiring and fitting of servos, but still some tidying up to do:
X axis drive and limit switch:
Y axis drive:
And this brings me to now. The extravaganza has begun. What is left to do is wire up the electrical cabinet, do a little more tidying up of the wiring, and then it will be time to fire it up!
The next job to tackle:
And the back view as of this morning.
More photos and eventually some video's to come.
Cheers, and let’s get some more of you guys into CNC – it is almost as addictive as building audio gear!