Looking for 1G resistors for the Dorsey Oktava MC012 mod

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Category 5

The specified part is

MOX200J-1000MEG-ND at DigiKey

I am told they are obsolete and there is no substitute they can recommend. Dorsey mentions in his article that there are space limitations, and that parts other than those he suggested will likely not fit.

Anyone know of a suitable replacement in a similar sized package?

Thanks,

Shane

http://www.riedon.com/tf_2000.htm

http://www.ohmite.com/catalog/v_minimox.html

here's a Digikey # for the Ohmite MOX-400231007J - .75W, though @ 0.580" (14.78) X 0.165" (4.19), it may be too large for your app: MOX400J-1000M-ND
http://www.digikey.com/scripts/dksearch/dksus.dll?PName?Name=MOX400J-1000M-ND

[quote author="Bryson"]here's a Digikey # for the Ohmite MOX-400231007J [/quote]Good Grief!! $4.50ea!! :shock:

I think we should contact Omite about a group buy. They'll make any size you want. That's basically what Digi-Key does. Don't know why they stopped getting the 1/4W version - every time you wanted to order some they were sold out, so it's not like they couldn't sell them.

[quote author="jrmintz"]There is part number: 296-0173 at www.alliedelec.com

It's 500 meg, so you'd have to use two, but at least it's in the ball park.

Good luck.[/quote]
That's a real shame - 'cos RS in Europe stocks the 1G resistor
Here is Zebra50s notes on buying th right one (eventually) in Europe
http://www.omnipressor.com/Other/G7mics/Components.html

[quote author="gyraf"]1.000.000.000 Ohms at 0.75W :shock: that is one hell of a voltage it will soak..![/quote]
Yes, one wonders how they know what the dissipation capabilities actually are - I reckon that if you put 27.3 kV across it, it would flash over just a little bit... :green:

The old part was not so much discontinued but phased-out, in favor of a new RoHS-compliant part (damn European Union and their candy-ass lead-free bullshit! :wink:).

The new part number is: MOX-200001007*E

Substitute the asterisk for F, G or J, for 1%, 2% or 5% tolerance respectively.

I was on the phone this morning with Ohmite and they said that they have an 8-week lead time on the new part and a 100 pc. minimum order. They told me to call DigiKey and tell them to order it for me.

Only reason I haven't called is that with a 100pc. minimum, it'll probably come to like 300 bucks and I don't have that kind of cash laying around just for some resistors... If somebody wants to call Digikey, please do so and report back.

Do I smell a group order?

Peace,
Al.

[quote author="alk509"]The new part number is: MOX-200001007*E

Substitute the asterisk for F, G or J, for 1%, 2% or 5% tolerance respectively.

Do I smell a group order?

Al.[/quote]

If that is indeed what you are smelling, could i possibly be in for 2 pcs?

Thanks.

The lead free might be a problem. There is something called the tin pest. Tin wiskers that grow on tin plated metal surfaces.

Other metals wisker. The lead stopped this, now with micro size stuff wiskers can be more of a problem.

IIRC NASA has a web page about metal wiskers

[quote author="dayvel"]It's not that Digi-Key has stopped selling it, Ohmite has stopped making it.[/quote]Oh. And from Al's post, I see why. The thing that was confusing me was that I spoke with Ohmite about a year ago and they were only making these per Digi-Key's order in the first place. So I couldn't reason why they would suddenly start turning down orders - but now I can see why. Surely DK will start stocking the new version since it was such a good product for them?

I spoke to DigiKey yesterday and they told me they no longer carry the product, have no replacement, and can not recommend a substitute.

I hope somebody locates a source soon. They are ideal for mic projects, and I can't find a 1/4 watt substitute anywhere...not even a larger piece.

Shane

Yeah, I'm looking for some too. I hope to build my own "Alice," much like Scott Helmke's:

TSB165-mic.jpg

[quote author="Category 5"]I spoke to DigiKey yesterday and they told me they no longer carry the product, have no replacement, and can not recommend a substitute.

I hope somebody locates a source soon. They are ideal for mic projects, and I can't find a 1/4 watt substitute anywhere...
[/quote]

Re-read the thread Shane.

[quote author="Category 5"]not even a larger piece.[/quote]

You haven't looked very hard, then... DigiKey and others have 3/4W and 1W models available.

Spoke to DigiKey yesterday and told them about the new part. They'll send me a quote for 100 pieces within the next three days (if I know how things work, I'd say it will take longer than that). As soon as I know how much they are, I'll report back and maybe we can organize a group buy.

Peace,
Al.

Back