Laser Transfer for Front Panels

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glorymorris

A few years back, I figured out how to make front panels by heat transferring laser toner from laser transparencies. Here's the result on a few projects that came out fairly well. I tend to include the drill guide in the printout and I use a drill press and a centerpunch to line up the bit for accurate drilling.

The trick is getting the iron to just the right temperature. Trial and error is sometimes the only way, but I find it's somewhere in the polyester area. I have a sharpy mark on my iron to note where it is. Also, it takes a lot of pressure and a little bit of time. I also fill a ziplock with ice cubes and I shock the metal/transfer cold when I'm satisfied I've got the toner onto the metal. Like many of these methods in the forum, they're not really time efficient, but for one-offs it works quite well.

I've heard of people modifying their printers so that the heat roller is off. Apparently, this works incredibly well. I haven't done it yet, but I plan to try it soon.

Latest posts

Back