Studio owners/live engineers, How do you hire your assistants?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am sure there are plenty of local audio school programs in the area like at Columbia. Doesn't hurt to ask around there. Read some resume's and go from there. Best assistant we ever hired showed up to the interview and before even sitting down to talk in the studio had noticed the trash was full and emptied it out.  Only person to ever get that test correct.  Attention to detail is key.

It always helps to have in mind what you want in assistant.  For example I always make sure the assistants know how to read music and have at least basic communication  skills in music.

This is always a good read on looking for assistants

www.searsound.com/pdf/itmustbespring.pdf

pucho812 said:
This is always a good read on looking for assistants

www.searsound.com/pdf/itmustbespring.pdf

I agree with that article.

The term "audio engineer" definitely came from being a real deal engineer. I think the word audio engineer is pretty misused now. It should be called something like "signal runner and digital sound editor"(provided its a digital mixer).

It would be nice if I could figure out exactly what holes I need to fill in my skills. But then again, I will never feel like I know enough. So I just keep cracking at the next task and I learn.

Does anyone else look for specific things in their assistants?

buildafriend said:
Useful, so you like to make sure that your assistant are competent in sheet music.

Yes! We work in music at a recording studio, everybody should have some understanding of the language in a written as well as spoken context.  I don't need someone who can sight read the most complicated piece and play it first time through but I do need someone who can talk the language and if written, knows enough to be able to follow it without being completely lost.

BTW It doesn't hurt if you can do that.

other things to look for are guys who are self starters. I shouldn't have to tell them to start working, they should be asking me what's needed or if they go into a room, should be able to start working without being told what to do.

People who have good common sense and know how to handle themselves. This isn't the hey your famous let me get your autograph and picture show, it's the Audio is a service industry show, accommodate the clients as best as possible.

I know if i was ever hiring an assistant, i would want him to be helpful, accountable, dependable, resourceful, respectful, smart and able to read between the lines(at times)...and also a good listener, good with people.

I don't need someone who can sight read the most complicated piece and play it first time through but I do need someone who can talk the language and if written, knows enough to be able to follow it without being completely lost.

I think that this is how I would feel as well if I was an experienced engineer/producer. Capable of understanding in a reasonable amount of time.

BTW It doesn't hurt if you can do that.

As an experienced and fairly trained drummer, I understand how to read note value but not pitch. I can communicate with other musicians well enough to understand their objective. Unless of course they are lacking in the words or communication skills that they need.

other things to look for are guys who are self starters. I shouldn't have to tell them to start working, they should be asking me what's needed or if they go into a room, should be able to start working without being told what to do.

Yeah, if you see a session that needs to broken down then break it down. Normalize the board, wrap the cables right, put the stands where they go, put the mics in the right cases, and make sure that the session is absolutely ready to be broken down.

You would show your new guy where the mic closet is though, right?

People who have good common sense and know how to handle themselves. This isn't the hey your famous let me get your autograph and picture show, it's the Audio is a service industry show, accommodate the clients as best as possible.

It's clearly not just the desire to become famous that drives the producers and engineers who "make it" to become famous. Would you agree?

Thanks

desol said:
I know if i was ever hiring an assistant, i would want him to be helpful, accountable, dependable, resourceful, respectful, smart and able to read between the lines(at times)...and also a good listener, good with people.

Got ya.

Always on time, willing to stay late to get the job done, owns up and knows when a mistake is made if any, and has the intuition/skills to get through any difficulties. 

I've noticed that people skills is a huge part of this. Luckily, I'm a super nice and friendly guy. 

buildafriend said:
Where do you usually find your assistants? What traits do you looks for in assistants?

For live: you want folks who are willing to tip cases, pull feeder, wire stage boxes, patch inserts and be on time. You also want those folks to be able to keep their mouths shut and not tell the band's crew how to do their jobs, and to not piss off the talent. They also have to realize that they're not going to mix the headline act immediately.

Never had a problem finding anyone. Usually they'd walk in the door of the sound company asking for a gig.

-a

Now, does an assistant have to be a college kid, or could he be an old geezer, say 40?

I've seen two kinds of assistants; ones who are in their late 20's and are full time employees, and ones who are in their early 20's and barely get paid for on call jobs.

I don't think that age has too much to do with things. I think that the men in the chairs are questioning my level of seriousness, detication, and level curiosity. Asking tons of questions has been a huge help. But I only ask at the best time that I can think of.

I don't think that age matters too much. I think YOU are what matters.

About the article, I must agree with the autor

Here, in Spain, when you finish the "Sound Technician" Grade, (The "Audio & Video Engineering" lessons in High schools started two years ago) you have to do 3 months of free work in some company, to get certificated as a "qualified technician"...

I had the luck (also looked for it) to get in one of the biggest studios here in Madrid, and the first day I was told my job will be bring coffe, be quiet and turn on some machines eventually. In the first recording session I was allowed to be in (I couldn't even go into the studio sessions the first month), I realized that I didn't learn anything of that in the school. I was fine, I didn't liked it, but I did the job for the next two months.

When I finished the three months training, they asked me to stay there for another 3 months for free, and the get some gigs at the studio, being the 4th or 5th technician, being payed ridicously...

Well, I learnt a lot there, but not about sound, the "chief engineer" was something about ridiculous (I knew some time after it was ther for being the son of somebody) when talking about sound technology, some kind of glorified gearslutz.

After that, I started running my little studio, growing it from a Home Studio to a Project Studio, and is now When I'm really learning about sound. And when I need a little help, I just work more and faster, I can't find nobody nice for the job

So, I see the educational system, at least here is a shame, I studied about sound before getting in the school, even I worked as a stage technician, I loved all the stuff about sound, and I feel the school make me a bit mediocre.

No learning about basic music reading, no computer learning but protools.. When I asked to a teacher (the most tech of them) how did the ballanced lines worked He couldn't explain it to me, saying "don't worry about that, let it to the engineers" ¿WTF? What Engineers? It was supposed to be the higher level in sound study.

Now, some of my partners and theachers, when I talk them about me building clones look me like I'm crazy, or tell me something like "So, you stopped working with sound?"

So I expect the educational level is higher in other countries...

Sorry for the long post, just trying to put the other point of view about this.

I've been involved in hiring a few.

The most important thing IMO is that I think they will fit in with the existing team.  That includes support personnel, office staff etc...
The next is that I think they will get on with the clients.
Then I'm looking for personal recommendations from people I know.
Obviously a will to do what's required without complaining is essential.  Showing knowledge of what you're getting yourself into in advance and that you're willing to do it is helpful.  Or rather if one sees any lack of awareness of what the job entails in a candidate then they're out.
People who think they've made it already or are full of themselves don't get a chance.
The last thing is the tech stuff.  If their CV is in front of me I assume they have their chops together and are capable of taking responsibility for their own professional development given the right environment.  If they don't have the basic competence (this includes reading dots, communicating with musicians about music in a manner they understand etc..) then they're gone as soon as it becomes obvious.

The best assistants in the world know how to be invisible and yet contribute.

Back