Unmarked Microphone bodies and parts (SYT-5, CU-49, HT-11A, GT-2B, and U47)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gen 3 will fix the tailpiece aesthetic.  I may have a batch of replacement end pieces made so folks can convert, but this will take some time to accomplish. . . EVERYTHING takes forever when dealing with overseas factory I've found.  The headbasket meshing ended up being a major exercise in frustration, so I decided to have them build the batch at this stage.  Otherwise, we would never get any mics in hand it seemed.

Part of trying to be a "valuable" customer is following through with some big orders so the factory knows you are not just kicking tires. . . especially on the first order.

I'm working on better ways to coordinate with the factory and hopefully, we will be able to figure out a good work-flow.  I'm thinking I will need to prototype here in the US and send a completed sample for reference to China so they understand exactly what I'm looking for and do not get "creative".

As for raising the capsule mount, you can use any stock material (plexiglass, delrin, brass, etc.) and drill 2 holes spaced 8mm.  Then use longer M2 screws to attach the rubber mount.  This should be easy enough to DIY and I will work on a bolt-on solution as well.  I specifically requested the use of the same shock-mount, but again, the factory decided to use what they are familiar with instead which is unfortunate.  I may need to supply them with capsule mounts in the next rev.

I have wood boxes for gt-2b in stock now.  I need to check if it is listed as a separate item.  I also have wood boxes for ht-11a which has landed and is in customs.

chunger said:
I have wood boxes for gt-2b in stock now.  I need to check if it is listed as a separate item.  I also have wood boxes for ht-11a which has landed and is in customs.

I hope the wood boxes for the HT11 are as nice as the ones for the GT2B.  I was very impressed with the quality and look/feel.  Very nice stuff.

So the chinese capsule mount should fit any K67 capsule, right? I'm planning on buying a Neumman K67. And what will be the price of the SYT gen 2 package

Category 5 said:
I hope the wood boxes for the HT11 are as nice as the ones for the GT2B.  I was very impressed with the quality and look/feel.  Very nice stuff.

The HT-11A wood boxes should be identical build quality and materials as the GT-2B boxes.  They come from the same supplier.

No boxes for SYT-5 yet.  The final price of the bodies ended up being much more than originally quoted so I ran out of funds on this batch for wood boxes.

UPDATE:  Microphones have landed and I picked them up today.  They will go live on the webstore tonight or tomorrow.  There will be shipping delays as I expect a number of orders from folks who have been waiting.

UPDATE: Gen. 2 SYT-5 bodies are officially in stock and live on the webstore.  The final production units look better than the 2 samples that I received previously.  There is absolutely no danger of running out of stock on gen. 2 SYT-5 bodies for quite a long time.  We ordered a lot of them. Keep calm, and build on!

note:

- GT-2B and HT-11A wood boxes are in stock now will be listed as separate item soon

- Shock Mounts for HT-11A (updated dual clamp variant), GT-2B (M27 threaded base), and U47 (60mm diameter) are also in stock and will be listed soon.  Probably tomorrow night.

- Type 1 headbaskets are running low in stock, but a replacement batch is in plating phase right now and will be sent to me via air freight which only takes a couple of days, so if all goes well, we will not run out of stock for any length of time.  These are being produced by a new metal factory and we should see an improvement in fit from the previous batch.

- AMI is communicative and has invoiced me for a transformer order.  Unfortunately, they have also scaled back the volume discounts I was purchasing at previously. . . at least temporarily.  For now, I understand the business is in major flux so I went ahead for restock order, but the margins were already very thin and we have had some T14 failures that incur loss for shipping replacements.  Long-term, I do not know if we will continue to stock AMI products, but it is good to see them back to production.

- Cinemag CM-13114's are out of stock temporarily, but a large replacement batch has been shipped, so there may be slight additional delays on orders that contain CM-13114.

Just a question about pricing: on your website is says the double sided edge terminated capsules are $32. (The ones with the blue tape)
But when I select the item, the price is suddenly $70, a big difference!
So: what is the correct price? (Or am I completely mistaken?...)

RuudNL said:
Just a question about pricing: on your website is says the double sided edge terminated capsules are $32. (The ones with the blue tape)
But when I select the item, the price is suddenly $70, a big difference!
So: what is the correct price? (Or am I completely mistaken?...)

...the 35mm center-terminated K67 capsule was the $32 option but is currently back-ordered, which is why it's temporarily removed from the drop screen list (click on either arrow under the pic)...the C12 double-sided edge-terminated capsule is $70...

what capsule is the best for the u87 build?  what is the closest to the vintage u87 sound?

drew571 said:
what capsule is the best for the u87 build?  what is the closest to the vintage u87 sound?

There are many good options for U87 capsules.  Eric Heiserman and Beesneez both make "premium" K87 type capsules.  I'm sure there are other capsule builders as well. I have heard great things about Shannon Rhodes at Micrehab.com .

If you want the closest to vintage, you may consider buying a replacement capsule directly from Neumann via Sennheiser.

HI CHUCK,
i would like to purchase u87 kit and be directed to the best how to thread for construction.
regards chris

Currently, your reputable PCB kits for U87 build would come from Dany Bouchard.  His website is http://www.vintagemicrophonepcbkit.com

You want either the square style DU87 boards (green, rectangular, 2 boards) or the new D-87M (blue single board).  I made a build thread for the original DU87 boards, but I am not sure if those are still available.

That is what I would currently recommend for a U87 clone build inside the gen. 2 SYT-5 body that we carry.

Hi Chunger!

Thanks for shipping my order for the STY-5 bodies!  I've been eagerly anticipating this moment (I have a box with Danny's boards, Eric's capsules, and a pile of stuff from digikey that I've been staring at longingly  :) ).

Thank you very much for making this all possible.  Your hard work though all of this I very much appreciate.

Trevor

Hey Chunger,
Got the GT-2B body and it looks great!  I did have one question:  was a 3-pin xlr insert supposed to come with it or can I order one?  Thanks!
Doug

Latest posts

Back