Green pre Grounding

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sleeper

finally had some time and all the parts to finish up my 4ch green pre...
testing and hookup tommorrow night.
I'm sure I can sort this out with trial and error, but what the hey
:wink:

Where to hookup ground on the output, as there's only a signal+ and a signal- connection on the board.

The options are
1st choice- Output pin 1/shield to chassis ground OR
Output pin 1/shield to signal ground on circuit board OR
Output pin 1/shield leave it floating

thanks,
I'll post some pics when it's all done.

Sleeper

What I did for my 8 Channel was this :

Connected all the pin 1 of the input XLR together with a solid piece of tinned copper wire. Connect that to the mains star ground

Connected all the pin 1 of the output XLR together with a solid piece of tinned copper wire. Connect that to the mains star ground

The PSU connector will supply the ground to the individual channel boards. The PSU ground will go to the mains star ground.

Pretty quiet unit.

Peter

[quote author="peterc"]Connect that to the mains star ground[/quote]

What is this? Is it where the two secondary wires from the tranny hook-up? The hole marked GND on the PSU PCB?

hi,

so you assume that the signal ground is the same than the shielding ground, that is to say the earth? isn't there a better solution in the case of the green pre? what if the earth is unclean?

for the moment my preamps work well with quite the same grounding system (shield of the xlr connected to the chassis by the "pin4" of the chassis xlr connectors). but i wonder if there can be a problem in an potentially unclean environnement, like using the preamps to record a concert with mic splitters for example...

bit confused at the mo sir, i think ground is ground ....

Peters method is fairly standard, at least in the home built units i have seen.

have you seen this? http://www.nrgrecording.de/green_pre.pdf

helping me muddle though it quite well, then again your about finished ...

i'll get me coat :oops:

yes i've seen this, that's exactly the scheme i used for my 4 channels green pre :wink:

my question is related to this article :
http://www.rane.com/note151.html
that hilights the fact that there's often a confusion made between shielding-ground and signal-ground, even in industrial professionnal products.

and as i want my home-made equippement to be as good as possible...

Latest posts

Back