DIYRE: Tone Cube one-time run, 50 units only!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meathands

tonecube-kit_large.jpg
Tone Cube Monitor Kit

Last year, we designed these kits based on DaveP's excellent DIY Auratone 5C post. We even got 50 sets of them CNC cut. However, it turns out we couldn't source the driver in the US. D'oh!

So, we're offering everything but the drivers on super sale. The kits include:
  • Pre-routed speaker cabinet panels. CNC-cut and rabbited from 1/2" thick MDF, including the connector and speaker cutouts
  • Gold plated, combination banana/binding post connector
  • Neoprene foam isolation pad
  • 8x Connector mounting screws
  • 2x Quick-connect crimp terminals
  • Note that it does not contain drivers or hookup wire (despite the picture)

The price is:
  • $30/kit (one speaker) + shipping
Shipping costs are:
  • US: $10
  • UK: $15
  • CA: $20
  • Rest of the world: $30

You just need to source the driver, the L69AW from Maplin for £9.99 each, and glue and solder it together. Take Note: Maplin will not ship outside the UK! Tell me about it!

Link for the drivers: http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/50w-5in-shielded-bass-mid-range-speaker-l69aw

If you'd like to reserve a set, please do so via the link below. We'll be taking reservations until we run out of stock (50 sets) or until 4/1.

Reserve Tone Cube Partial Kits

FAQ
Is a set one speakers or two?
A set is one speaker. So if you'd like to build a stereo set, please order two.

Are these Auraclones/DaveTones/DaveClones?
Exactly. The front panel of the box is cut to accommodate the Maplin L68AW driver DaveP used here: http://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=43086.0

Why is shipping so expensive?
Because these are heavy! They're made of 1/2" thick MDF.

Why is shipping cheaper in the UK than the rest of the world?
Charlie Slee of Big Bear Audio in London has graciously agreed to receive a consolidated shipment of the UK orders and ship them out individually. Very nice of him! If someone would like to volunteer to do this in other countries, please post in the comments.

How can I get the drivers if I'm not in the UK?
Excellent question. If I knew the answer, I wouldn't be liquidating these. Maybe another kind UK resident would like to arrange a group buy and send some to someone in the US? Again, please coordinate in the comments.

What do I have to do to reserve a set?
Follow the big link above. We'll collect your payment and shipping info and then charge you when we're done taking reservations on 4/1/2015.

Welcome to the Forum Peterson,  nice Stuff over there  8)
Best,
DAn,

Just received my Ferrite DI.  ;D

To be honest I just purchased it for the convenience.  :eek:
(Happened to come out when i needed another DI and shipping one tx is expensive)

BUT..... this product exceeded my expectations. Very professional package.
42379-091112060255.jpeg

And no I haven't soldered it up yet, but it's a DBX so it will sound great.

Thanks Peterson!!!

Big fan of Peterson's stuff.  Bought 2 Reamps a few months ago, put them together in an hr.  Great packaging and great build info too. 

Nice work!!!!

D.

Hey - first up congratulations on your site - extremely useful resource. Is there any chance your going to do another run of the preamp reamp - as you noted in the blurb we all, we'll most of us, have much more line level gear than guitar pedals and such.

With the Colour launch, I will also be making available my "CMOS Steezer".  The idea is a CMOS inverter fuzz tweaked down to make a real pleasing ~4% THD at +4dBu.  This thing is fun to work on!  Pretty excited to see what everyone comes up with.

Brian

Attachments

• TB Colour.jpg
    TB Colour.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 78
Just chiming in to say that I love everything Peterson does, starting with the website (which I consult religiously every day, like this one), the brillant projects, and the podcasts. As a noobie, I appreciate these especially as they've cleared up a lot of dark spots I had. Please make more ! :p

Amazing work peterson !
would love to hear some soundclips...
will try to support this project by pre ordering one  kit ,
long live DIY !!
Francois

Can't wait for the 1U version of this. I will not be getting into 500 series any time soon. Peterson, waiting patiently for 1U/6 colour palette version with individual drive controls and bypass switching :eek: . I would love it if you can dial in the amout for each colour. Great job!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a great, original idea!!

Is it silly to ask if you can combine colors?

If so, would they be in series or parallel?

cheers

Thank you guys for the incredibly positive responses.

ArnoldLayne, thank you for the kind words, can't tell you how much they mean.

pacemaker, I'm working on sound samples and a demo video. This project has been more challenging than originally anticipated. I have some simple wet/dry samples but I feel like they don't quite communicate what the unit is capable of with the potential of colours in series, finessing the Saturation control, etc. So I'm working on something a bit more involved. Do stay tuned.

ding, thanks for your patience and enthusiasm. You've been paying too close attention to what I've been saying! The version with individual drive controls, etc. is one possibility I've considered for the 1U version. Another is simply a dedicated front panel and chassis for racking the existing 500-series modules. No decisions have been made yet. We'll be turning our attention to this directly after the first run of kits ship in March and will definitely be soliciting feedback on which direction to pursue.

johnnyscotch, yes you can combine colours! Each of the three colours has its own bypass control. All three can be engaged/disengaged at once. They are arranged in series, just like a preamp, comp, and EQ would be in a classic recording chain.

Pre-ordered my kit today ;D
Congratulations on what already looks like a success !

Also, do you know when the Z-in kits wil be in stock ?

Hello,

The idea is great!

Can we asume that 2 kits can be considered "stereo matched"?

Thanks

Luc

ding said:
Any chance to get just the PCBs? Maybe I can use the Rackit kit from Ramshackle. http://ramshacklerecording.com/collections/utilities/products/rackit-kit

I am doing a small run of just the PCB for people interested in designing a colour before the full kits are ready. I ordered some extras so a couple folks can jump in. PM me.

ArnoldLayne said:
Pre-ordered my kit today ;D
Congratulations on what already looks like a success !

Also, do you know when the Z-in kits wil be in stock ?

Thanks! Z-In kits should be ready next week.

pacemaker said:
would love to hear some soundclips...
Francois

Sound samples are live! http://www.diyrecordingequipment.com/colour-pre-order/#samples

OOstudio said:
Can we asume that 2 kits can be considered "stereo matched"?

Not quite. While you can use two Colours on a stereo bus, this 500-series version is more ideal for mono processing, as the controls are not stepped and there is no "stereo link." We'll be working on a stereo version after this run.

Some good sound samples would help push me over the edge [ and make an order ]
ah I see the samples are up , thanks

Latest posts

Back