Cascade Elroy Mod's?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's pin 1 not 7, and the ceramic cap is 330pF ;)
Yeah, put good pics, becuase i'm confused right now with description :D

ln76d said:
It's pin 1 not 7, and the ceramic cap is 330pF ;)
Yeah, put good pics, becuase i'm confused right now with description :D

Ok... so the pin numbers go clockwise looking at the tube not the socket?

I will update the previous post with photos.

All Right!

So I have updated my previous post with super hi-res photos and I labeled them in photoshop.  I also found some errors that I made while going through this process so I made corrections to the text in the post as well.

I am posting a dropbox link to folder that has several Super Hi-Res photos without labels in case they might be helpful. If anyone wants or needs to see a specific component or angle just say the word and I'll get it.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jhkuw5q9qj6s0wo/AAAh4RAscOjapfhb8AhsFPLSa?dl=0

This design is horrible :D :D :D

Could you make also pics with the lamp under PCB but with second side of the board?
I can't figure out few connections.
Where's connected 1uF electrolytic - the trace which goes under tube socket?

Ok, another idea!!!

Lets don't waste time for figuring out that c..p :D

Could reinstall PCB inside housing, put the tube inside socket and make pic?
I need to see how many space is available.

Could you measure metal spacers (short and long)?

Could you remove all the parts except switches, tube socket, transformer?
Could you remove white plastic cover from 6pin socket?
Then would be great if you could make good pics (with lamp and without it) of both sides of PCB?

After that i can do a mouser BOM with the new parts and draw new connections on the PCB.
If you want a good tube for it and some vintage parts, let me know ;)

Overall this way would be much easier to make some progress, than digging in crappy design ;)

I will re-assemble and take pics. I'll add measurements as well.

I'm going to hold off on soldering all but I'm willing to do so...

As I'm trying to learn a bit from this process can you explain briefly what makes the circuit so bad?

This topology is needlessly overcomplicated. The input stage and the output stage.
For the input definately is better to use single grid resistor and no capacitor at all!
For the output, typical for classic plate followers topology -> plate-cap-transformer is also much better.
It would be easier to build it from beginning using existing traces than typically modding it ;)
From the original parts there's truly not much to keep.
I would  use much more simple and good sounding circuit than exisiting.
Overall whole "upgrade" is nothing expensive but the final effect should be a huge difference ;)

Latest posts

Back