Are those Tube circuits suitable for Tim's CT12?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manulaudic

Hi everyone,

I would like to thank the forum for all the help you guys provided over the pasts months... i have found so many answers and been searching through the forum a lot :)

Now, I updated my T-bone SCT2000 (Nady TCM 1050) as Dave Thomas recommended.
It is the same circuit than the Apex 460. My original thread is here : http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=50285.0

Now i would like to order Tim's Capsule because i just love the sound of the original AKG tube. I have only recorded with The Tube and i loved it then ...

So here is my question : Which Circuit below suits the capsule?
I am not trying to get especially a C12 sound, but i want to make sure which circuit will take the best from the CT12:

- My Modded T-bone - Headbasket and shape of the mic is more like U47ish?
- Royer Circuit?
- Apex 460 into C12?
- How about a basic Fet microphone like the MXL 2001.

Also, what should i make sure to check before hooking up the capsule? B+ 120v? not more. any special voltages to check?

I hope you can answer my questions, and i know i can just experiment by putting the capsule here and there, but i want to double check first that the circuit will not damage the CT12...

Thank you guys one more time,
Manu

Just make sure polarization voltage (for cardioid mode) doesn't exceed 60 volts and you won't damage the capsule. B+ doesn't matter by itself, polarization voltage (if taken from B+) depends of the voltage divider before the capsule. P48 mics without DC-DC converter are safe, don't know about the MXL.

What circuit you like depends of what you wish. C12 and ELA M circuits are the classic ones. Plate followers with little bit of low shelf and low cut, depending of the generation, and a slight top roll of in ELA M. I'd just try one, I'm pretty sure Tim's capsule sounds good in about every decent flattish circuit (two CT12'a on the way for me BTW, yippee!  :) )

BTW, I believe The Tube has an teflon ring CK12, different (and inferior) to Tim's capsule.

Thank you pasarski !

Mind asking a quick question. Where should i check that voltage? the output for the power supply on the T-bone sct2000 is 7pin xlr. Should i check there or inside the mic?
Maybe just before the capsule? in that case where should i check?

Thank you for your help.
Manu

Assuming it's the apex460 circuit (?) theres a 270k/270k voltage divider halving the B+ for the capsule. Measure before divider, if you have 120 V there the polarization voltage is 60 V,  assuming the resistors in the divider are equal value, if not it's math time (or http://www.raltron.com/cust/tools/voltage_divider.asp ). I think you can also measure after the divider, before the 51M resistor, at least my DMM can handle that, maybe some meters don't (wondering that because I've read here that you should measure before the divider and do the math but I always measure after with no problems)?

I really encourage you to study META's more carefully, all the basic info is there. There's a lot to read in the various G7 topics for example. Not to say that I don't enjoy answering, but it just feels a bit funny sometimes because I'm a noob also and every question I can answer has already been answered here before :)

(EDIT: Just realized who you are, sent you a PM :) )

Sure i have to do some more research... will definitely study more the Apex circuit. but again thanks for the info !

And on to the Meta...

Got your PM !
Cheers,
Manu

Latest posts

Back