Anybody knows something about Allen & Heath SYNCON A con

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Housemeister

Hi

Would be great if someone have some infos about it. How does it sound ?
Are they any tranies in it ? Is it discrete or with ic´s ?
Is it something that is good to have or not ?
What do you think would be the fair value for the 18 ch version ?

I hope there is someone who had his fingers on this one and can share his opinions. Thanks

Best Regards

Hi:
I worked on a 40 channel Syncon in the 80,s, we got it second-hand in England.At that time we though we had a very good desk,also I had the schematics (they were lost I guess...) but I remember a lot of TL07X and NE553X in it.Maybe a couple or two of transistors on Mic inputs but do not expect A-Class discrete circuitry inside.I think that the trainies were optional, I can,t remember.
Ten years ago I built(clone) some outboard parametric Eqs using the Syncon schematics and I,m still using them,very gentle, some TL072 inside ,no more, but the sound is good,in my opinion.

Camel.

Thanks Camel

This was also my first expectation, but I have seen some Pictures of one of the channels, and thats confusing me really. I cant see any ic´s in it
(ok there is al lot of stuff on the channel and the picture is not very good but... ). There are 5-6 litttle Pcbs on the large one, and they seems to be the opamps. Looks like discrete stuff to me, but I am not shure.
I also find out that there are some versions of the Board. This one is called syncon a, and there seems to be also syncon b and only syncon. Maybe there are different designs of this board.
Strange. I would like to see some shemos.

Thanks anyway

Sorry to be so late to the party. There are 2 syncon boards the "Syncon B" uses Tlo72, 5532, and 5534 op amps. The Syncon A is basically all discrete. It uses discrete op Amps labeled SO2 in the schematics for just about everything. The good news is you can service the SO2 but, The original transistors are pretty much all obsolete and are getting hard to find but, There are current production transistors that are pretty close matches. I have a Syncon A.

Archie

archieaa1 said:
Sorry to be so late to the party. There are 2 syncon boards the "Syncon B" uses Tlo72, 5532, and 5534 op amps. The Syncon A is basically all discrete.
Exactly....

archieaa1 said:
It uses discrete op Amps labeled SO2 in the schematics for just about everything. The good news is you can service the SO2 but, the original transistors are pretty much all obsolete and are getting hard to find but, there are current production transistors that are pretty close matches......
Hmmm....... so one SO2 discrete opamp consists of:

Q1, Q2, Q3, Q5:  ZTX 107 B  (similar to BC107B, can be replaced with BC550B)
Q4: ZTX 212 (similar to BC212, can be replaced with BC560B)
Q6: BFR 40 (can be replaced with BC639)
Q7: BFR 80 (can be replaced with BC640)

[quote author=Housemeister]
Strange. I would like to see some shemos.
[/quote]
Google is your friend:
http://www.allen-heath.com/media/SYNCON-A-USER-GUIDE-SCHEMATICS.pdf

Latest posts

Back