Dramwer 1960 Mods or Upgrade

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sage

In my effort to restore some unused gear in my studio I have opened up my Drawmer 1960 which I truly dislike as it is...

To me this lucks 3dimensionality and it just sounds dull... I tried it on grand piano, tried on drums, guitars... just not happy with this guy...

Now there is little info I found on the net and a split community on which tubes, or ICs or what really to do with this to improve somewhat the sonic response of this unit.

Some even say it's a good door stopper... well I would not go that far but unless I try something on it It will continue to be a prop in my rack....

I will appreciate any suggestions from people that have performed upgrades on this - also I would appreciate if anyone has the calibration process as i can't find the manual anywhere...

sage

Sounds dull? Hmm. Does the unit try to purposefully sound toob-like?! I don't have that unit but how about starting here:

- all caps (22u?) in audio signal path
- caps in audio signal IC feedback paths
- different/faster ICs, if properly decoupled(!)
- What make of tubes are used in the unit?
- Could well be that the secret to the sound is hidden in the "sealed blocks".

s

I have a stock unit which I think the comp sounds pretty good on guitar buss. The preamp section is definitely dark and not so special. I'd love to hear some tips on upgrading this also.

You Abechap brought up a good point...
I opened this thing and the idea of spending money for new good tubes, good caps, ICs... trying to make this sound better... I'd rather invest that money in a new DIY build... I mean the SA3A I built sounds light years (in my taste) better than this, I never found the 1960 to be versatile enough to use it...
Also I decided to bring back to life the racks of 5 EFT-Tassoni Compressors and 3 EQs that i have so...
So it's on Ebay now and I will put it on the white market as well...

Latest posts

Back