CUBASE 7

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Autophase

Hi guys,
I've read (and salivated) over the press releases & blurb about the iminent release of Steinberg's Cubase 7.
Having been a cubase die hard for 12 years (I've flirted with other sequencers / daws like Reason, Reaper, Ableton, Logic) but once you have the Cubase workflow and metodology in mind, nothing else cuts it.
I'm currently on Cubase Studio 5 (I didnt feel that 6 or 6.5 would offer any improvements to the way I work) But having seen the videos and read about all the new features, improved audio engine (it was already the best i had heard) and a totally overhauled mixer, with saturation, dynamics, matching EQ all built into the default strip, I'm going to make a purchase as soon as its available (december 7th I belive, well timed as an xmas pressie from the Mrs)

Anyway I was just hoping to start a discussion with fellow cubase diehards (or newbies) or even people who prefer andother DAW, just to see who else is excited.
8)

I'm curious to see how the new channel strip sounds; it certainly looks good.

I like the spectrum analyzer/EQ on every channel, overdue!

Also from some of the pics it looks like the Steinberg Vintage Channel Strip is included...?

I haven't really been following this as my studio's been in storage but I'm getting everything set up again after Xmas and this looks like it'll be great once I'm back up and running. I was on a hackintosh running Logic until I put the studio into storage, but this could be the kick up the arse I need to make very back to Cubase...

Thanks for the tip!

Hey Autophase

I am in exactly the same position as you. I run 5.5 now and the upgrade to six did not seem to interesting. But will definitely go to seven. The mixer seems to me a big plus, and the new musicality is a nice addition for me too!

Hmmm.... Maybe I'll purchase an upgrade from Cubase 4. Maybe not. Maybe a crossgrade to a cut down version...
To be honest, I'm not too confident in the cubase upgrades anymore,  after upgrading from SX3 to cubase 4.

It would've been nice if Steinberg spent more energy in streamlining the program, instead of adding more and more bells and whistles.

I agree with Helterbelter!
They keep adding stuff that I feel doesn't improve workflow, but instead adds stuff that sounds cool and looks (maybe not so) cool. But if they want to tackle other top pro daws, I think they should work more on simplicity of operation. For instance, when you're spending your everyday life with this software, opening new projects and setting up routing is something you loose valuable time. It's annoying not being able to have "default" type of new track that already includes few plugins and has volume value different than zero. They make you either use copy paste of selected channel (possible only in mixer view), or do it manually every time you open new track. And this is what PT has much more elegant compared to Cubase (and I'm not in any way pushing my thumbs up for PT...).

I don't care if there is a saturator on every channel, or what is the color of the mixer. But I really NEED it to be ergonomic and intuitive for me to be able to work many hours every day on it without feeling dumb when I have to repeat redundant tasks.

just my 5 cents...

(but I also feel Cubase 7 is a bit ugly... but that's just me...)

I'm at 5.5 here and not going to update. The basic workflow doesn't seem to have changed, and none of the features they have added seem interesting, but more like feature creep.

Seems like it's still the same old sequencer and audio engine. The new mixer doesn't seem like an improvement and I've never needed any Steinberg plugins and internal EQ or dynamics functionality. They really should hire a better graphics and UI designer too. Some of the stuff is just sub-par.

kevinkace said:
I also wish they simplified the UI some. More like Abelton or Metro... Less gradients/shadows/rounded corners etc.

... or at least provide option of choosing different skins like Samplitude.

shot said:
I agree with Helterbelter!
They keep adding stuff that I feel doesn't improve workflow, but instead adds stuff that sounds cool and looks (maybe not so) cool. But if they want to tackle other top pro daws, I think they should work more on simplicity of operation. For instance, when you're spending your everyday life with this software, opening new projects and setting up routing is something you loose valuable time. It's annoying not being able to have "default" type of new track that already includes few plugins and has volume value different than zero. They make you either use copy paste of selected channel (possible only in mixer view), or do it manually every time you open new track. And this is what PT has much more elegant compared to Cubase (and I'm not in any way pushing my thumbs up for PT...).

I don't care if there is a saturator on every channel, or what is the color of the mixer. But I really NEED it to be ergonomic and intuitive for me to be able to work many hours every day on it without feeling dumb when I have to repeat redundant tasks.

just my 5 cents...

(but I also feel Cubase 7 is a bit ugly... but that's just me...)

When was the last time you used cubase? you can have as many default environments as you like and as many channel presets as you like that save all third party plugins and parameters with one click.
Its one thing to be ignorant of one daws features because you are more used to another, but it is unfair to spread this ignorance on a forum as it may mislead fellow readers.

rob_gould said:
I haven't really been following this as my studio's been in storage but I'm getting everything set up again after Xmas and this looks like it'll be great once I'm back up and running. I was on a hackintosh running Logic until I put the studio into storage, but this could be the kick up the arse I need to make very back to Cubase...

Thanks for the tip!

How did Hackintosh work for you? I was considering it but I read somewhere that Apple copyrighted the contents of the EFI chip which the OS references on bootup, so its now illegal for Hackintosh to supply non apple branded hardware that is capeable of running Mac OS?
Are other people still doing it on the sly? or is there a way round it?

Autophase said:
How did Hackintosh work for you? I was considering it but I read somewhere that Apple copyrighted the contents of the EFI chip which the OS references on bootup, so its now illegal for Hackintosh to supply non apple branded hardware that is capeable of running Mac OS?
Are other people still doing it on the sly? or is there a way round it?

A "hackintosh" is not and never was some brand that supplies hardware or software in any form. It's a scene where people install OSX on misc hardware with all kinds of workarounds and tricks. These days it's really well documented with many sites around. And there's nothing Apple can do about this.

There have been companies trying to leech of that scene, but that's another thing entirely.

tv said:
"hackintosh" is a state of mind.

ha ha...

cheers for the correction kingston, my mistake, I must have got confused when I saw hackintosh on ebay, i believed people were selling them as branded PC's running OSX & Windows
I stand corrected.

Yes, Kingston's got it.  As long as you pick the right PC hardware it is not that tricky to set up. Takes a few days of trial and error, time spent on forums and making sure you're getting supported hardware, but it isn't that tricky. And mine ran for a year or more without a single hiccup - it really was flawless.

Autophase said:
When was the last time you used cubase? you can have as many default environments as you like and as many channel presets as you like that save all third party plugins and parameters with one click.
Its one thing to be ignorant of one daws features because you are more used to another, but it is unfair to spread this ignorance on a forum as it may mislead fellow readers.

Ok! I went googling and I'm sorry!
I've been working in Cubase for years and years and I never went to see what's under "browse presets" when adding new track! This is my mistake! Autophase you're right. Respect!
I apologize!
:-[

shot said:
Autophase said:

Ok! I went googling and I'm sorry!
I've been working in Cubase for years and years and I never went to see what's under "browse presets" when adding new track! This is my mistake! Autophase you're right. Respect!
I apologize!
:-[

No worries mate, I too made a mistake regarding my lack of understanding of Hackintosh.... we've both learnt something, which is one of the things which makes this forum a more friendly place than GearSlutz.

So in light of this..... will you be going Cubase 7?

Yeah! Glad we're cool!  ;)

I will still remain on 5.5, but the place I work at (school) got 4 free upgrades since we bought four more 6.5 licences three weeks ago. And Steinberg is offering free upgrade to those who bought new cubase after 25.10. So we'll get 4 sevens, and I'll definitely try it.
I also have my studio where I don't plan to upgrade. I'm comfortable with the way it works now. Since I'm using outboard gear, I don't rely on all the features last versions of DAWs have. And I still feel I don't loose top noch service I can provide to my clients.

I'm in cubase 5.

6 offered easier midi dropping tools for drum replacement.. thats the only reason I wanted it. Ill wait until 7 is outdated and cheap and then ill snatch it. That's how I roll.

shot said:
Yeah! Glad we're cool!  ;)

I will still remain on 5.5, but the place I work at (school) got 4 free upgrades since we bought four more 6.5 licences three weeks ago. And Steinberg is offering free upgrade to those who bought new cubase after 25.10. So we'll get 4 sevens, and I'll definitely try it.
I also have my studio where I don't plan to upgrade. I'm comfortable with the way it works now. Since I'm using outboard gear, I don't rely on all the features last versions of DAWs have. And I still feel I don't loose top noch service I can provide to my clients.

Yep sounds like the sensible thing for your set of circumstances, the outboard routing options are so clear and flexible on cubase studio 4 and up, i cant imagine you would benefit from the upgrade.
Since I mainly work ITB on electronic mucis, a lot of the new features in cubase 7 appeal to me, plus upgrading isnt a hassle to set up with loads of outboard gear (because I have very little) I just sum through my 8 channel neumann summin box (I built to Volkers design) and the trusty GSSL, I've got a Stereo Night EQ on the bench, and that will be all the outboard i need.

December cant come soon enough.

Back