Mounting a 8A bridge rectifier on top of a toroid xformer?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrclunk

Is it ok to mount a bridge rectifier on top of a toroidal mounting bolt? 

Be a tidy position in my current project. 

Or would the transformer induce un-wanted crap into the rectifier or vice versa?
More i think about it the more i think its a bad idea...

The rectifier should be relatively unaffected by magnetic field. The primary concern I would have is if either affects cooling of the other.  It is a little unconventional, but that doesn't mean it can't be done.

JR

I did it in a tube mic preamp which uses ~ 12W from 25W tx. Made sure rectifier can't short through tx bolt or chasis lid. It can be dangerous and i often see sloppy jobs in this part. Heat wasn't a problem in my case because tx and rectifiers were dimensioned properly. My Quad 405 PA is also done this way and works well. Don't have problems with heat or tx interference.

pwr trans is the item that blows up the most, therefore you want to be able to change it with minimum drama, which would mean not having to remove the bridge also,

I am not aware of transformers being replaced very often, but concede I have never seen this done in a commercial design.

From a mechanical perspective the mass of the transformer could put additional stresses on the bridge that it doesn't need. This would be more of an issue for assembled products getting shipped long distances, than a DIY build that never leaves home, so do what you want.

JR

Back