FEELER: M49/50 Bodies

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riggler

White Market thread:

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=52563

Hello everyone....

Myself and Tskguy are making M49 / M50 bodies. These are not going to be 100% replicas of the Neumann design internally. Externally they will be very close. Inside I have made this DIY-friendly. I have been told that to make just two of these bodies will be expensive. A larger run of these would bring the price per unit down drastically, and also warrant these to be made on CNC equipment.

I didn't have a real M49 or 50 to compare with, but because of the GIVING people here on this forum, I was able to get the enough pictures and measurements to be more than close enough for DIY.

These will be made from brass.

The circuit board size I am using is a 60mm circular board that you can get at Radio Shack. Dany, (Poctop) is making PCBs for the M49 and M50 circuits. Some people will do their own thing. After reviewing comments and costs, I am not making internal plastic pieces. I do, however, have these pieces modeled. The base is set up for a nice Binder connector.

There are four threaded holes in the base piece where you can attach threaded rod to support the circuit board assembly. Or do it another way if you want to.

Anyway, attached is a picture.

THANK YOU ALL FOR THIS PLACE!

Damian

riggler_50_body.jpg

Great idea. What kind of costs are we talking if, say, 10 people were involved?

Also, Flea makes an M49/M50 body that looks very nice. It's about $700 if I remember correctly.

Dylan

I am not remotely sure on price per unit yet. It will heavily depend on the quantity. I did see the Flea kits, I am hoping that these will be much less expensive!

i've already started down my own path body-wise, but would love to have 4 sets of mesh pressings.  been dragging my feet on that one.

This one is on my build list and I'm definitely interested. It would be great to have two bodies to work with.

Please let me know a ballpark cost when you can get an estimate. I'll keep an eye on the thread too.

Thanks,
Ken

Hi Damian,
interested in 4 (edit) bodies. I´ve got a Telefunken M49 in my mic locker. If you want me to take some high resolution pictures or measurement I can support you. Email me if interested.
regards
Bernd

Attachments

• Neumann M49 008.jpg
    Neumann M49 008.jpg
    698.3 KB · Views: 228
The Neumann TLM49 sharing the same body as the M49, it can be more easy to find. Mad.ax and I worked soon on a TLM49 > M49 conversion. We already have all the components (original BV11, TFK AC701k, original Neumann PSU ...). Great idea, interesting in one or two, depending on the price.

If I get rid of the badge circle (that would surround the "pearl dot"), it could save a lot of manufacturing cost on that part, because it can then be lathe-turned. Personally, I think that the "pearl dot" looks really neat, but I don't mind losing that. If you feel the same way let me know.

Okay, I was not planning on this much response, so it looks like I will move forward and try to get some pricing put together. One baby step at a time...

Bernbrue, I may email you in the next couple of days in order to confirm a couple of dimensions if you don't mind!

Thanks!!!!

riggler said:
If I get rid of the badge circle (that would surround the "pearl dot"), it could save a lot of manufacturing cost on that part, because it can then be lathe-turned. Personally, I think that the "pearl dot" looks really neat, but I don't mind losing that. If you feel the same way let me know.

Okay, I was not planning on this much response, so it looks like I will move forward and try to get some pricing put together. One baby step at a time...

Bernbrue, I may email you in the next couple of days in order to confirm a couple of dimensions if you don't mind!

Thanks!!!!

Youre welcome!! The Telefunken M49 has no batch circle at all. You should include the "red dot hole"
regards
Bernd

Back