Dave Brubeck

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tchgtr

One day in the early '80s I was walking along a street in Denver, CO after spending the afternoon trying to book my modern jazz-fusion band in a few clubs there. On the other side of the street I noticed a distinctive looking man who was either Chief Dan George, or Dave Brubeck.
  The first thing Mr. Brubeck said to me after I introduced myself and told him how much I admired him and his music was, "Where did you get those overalls?". I was wearing bright red overalls, and he commented that his son Darius had brought him some just like that from Europe.
    He was returning from Radio Shack to his hotel with some batteries, and getting ready for a concert with the local symphony, and looked tired, so I told him he was one of my favorite jazz musicians and that my band played a few of his songs, left him with some promo material for the band and excused myself. 
    Several months later, in the middle of July, I received a Christmas card in the mail from Mr. Brubeck, with a photo of him and the inscription "Thanks!". I could not imagine why he had sent me a Christmas card in July and showed it to one of the other band mates who knew the story of my meeting with him.
  "Look what he's wearing", said my friend, and sure enough, Dave was wearing a pair of red overalls in the photo on the card.
    Music used to be so incredible, and Dave Brubeck was a big part of that.
    Goodbye to one of the kindest, smartest men to ever grace a jazz club....

yup RIP truly a classic.

I recall learning that DB lived in the same neighborhood as a co-worker (in So. CT in '70s) and it was all I could do to not knock on his door as a fan boy. But it was not PC to invade celebrities personal space, and my co-worker would have killed me. 

JR

210px-Time_magazine_cover,_Dave_Brubeck,_November_1954.jpg

Balcony Rock (long, but worth it)

What about Joe morello, such a great drummer. Although I must admit there is a part during the drum solo on take 5 that it sounds like they spliced takes together as the volume on the drums drops. But then again as good as he is it might have all been in the hands and feet.

Latest posts

Back