Re-Esser

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sr1200

Ok, yeah it doesnt exist, but just want to know if anyone has ever dealt with a singer with a severe lisp and how you can minimize the apparentness of all the words that now begin or end with TH instead of S...

I do deal with it every day... I live in Argentina, no problem up to there, but in the region I live Ss are not pronuciated at all when they are at the end of the world, so most plurals and singulars sound the same for example (not everybody but a lot of people talk like this and many sing like this to)

I have a couple of options always at hand, the first one is the obvious, if he sings this way, it sounds this way. Sometimes the S isn't there at all so you can't do anything... when it is but not so presence you could let it out in many ways...
1- a dynamic eq working like a reverse de-esser, but for this you need to have the S... so not the more choosed.
2- a transient processor like http://www.waves.com/Content.aspx?id=286 where you can boost hi frec transients.
3- a comp, 1176 is the correct one for this task, most short release and not so short attack, hi ratio, parallel compression with eq or filtering maybe.
4- waves C1 sidechain, play with hi frec dynamics to get something out of them when the Ss are there, then boost high, so you will be atten highs with the comp most of the time and boosting with the EQ, when not high signals there the comp release (fast, again) and let the eq works boosting this Ss... As a teacher said, C1 is when there is some trouble, in other case a lot of better comp plugins for playing with...
5- an exciter, like aphex waves plugin, but in this case you will be boosting all the highs from the track that I assume you don't want.

I rarely use a de-esser with any singer here around, but being short in Ss allow you to boost a lot highs when needed and most of the time high freq when no Ss around make no harm and bright up te vox, and when you are short of Ss is also a good thing (not always, ofcourse)

Parallel compression with 1176 as said before enhances transients and intelligibility... sometimes I use it in choirs so I can keep it well down the voice but still get what they sing...

I hope this would be usefull, anything else or clarification just ask.

JS

thanks joaquins ill have to try that out... interesting solution.

and 0dbfs you dont know how many times i had to re type de-eSS instead of that.... its sad but true.. and funny.  Just kills me cause the band is actually REALLY good.

The Exellent Massey De:esser does have a Re:Ess mode

Attachments

• full.deesser.jpg
    full.deesser.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 57
GTFO! I hope they have a demo of it.  I'd like to try it.  Unfortunately, the 1176 trick only emphasized the "TH" he was using instead of an "S" (but it did work as advertised! ;) so nice tip there!)

If they are there but too low level with some kind of processing you should get them shine, if they really aren't there at all (sometimes it happens, maybe listen just the last couple of microseconds where it should be) and you really want them there you should sintetize them, maybe a filtered white noise with a gate or better manual automation could be a last resource.

It is SR, I learn about this in a class with one of the greatest sound engineer in my country, I have 2 half year classes with him, one of them was almost completely about working with just comps and EQ, so you want a deesser, use a sidechain with an eq or split the signal with a crossover and compress the highs... Then we start to using deesser plugins as they came in the next class, but first learn how they work inside, mixes that half year was heavy and a lot of busses comps and eqs used, but really worth it, and still now it's fun and usefull doing this when no plugin does what you want or just for learning purposes. I had he as teacher a couple of years ago and still in touch with him, I take to him any mastering I need, great guy too.

JS

Yeah, unfortunately, is not a matter of too low or not there at all... the S's are pronounced like a TH instead, so id have to either go in and record someone saying an "S" or just embrace. 

(for instance this is what it would read like:  Thith ith the way thumb one with a lithp would thpeak) 

Add some harmonic coloration to even out the frequency response

or sidechain a compressor with an eq boosting the offending parts

or just automate

maybe will work, might not.

You should try a really sharp peak or even better something about 48db/oct (maybe resonant) HPF boosting that THs to turn them Ss... they are the same random noise but much lower "pitch" maybe adding some harmonic like abe said before, in that way you should have the freq you need to boost...

That's the way I'd try, a send with the original signal, with a HPF between 1KHz and 3KHz so the TH goes in, then some harmonic generator (distortion, aphex enhancer, or something like this) then the heavy HPF filter 48dB/Oct about 4 to 7 KHz, listen there if the sound changes from TH to S no matter how the rest of the signal sounds... and then find a way to triger it, maybe there some DEesser to calm them down and a gate to not turn the whole track to bright... But just guessing, as always is not a common recipe for mixing, even less in such rare case... Such heavy problems sometimes the only choise you have is automation, so you take out the worse parts and add some synthesized ones.

Maybe you could send me a track and I find a way to do something and send you the chain I use and presets... what soft do you use and wich plugins do you have? PM me if you prefer.

JS

I certainly appreciate the help here.  Unfortunately i have 11 tracks to do with this band... either mixing is gonna take forever or im going to have to let this guy hear what he REALLY sounds like.  Cutting with a voiced pair is probably the "best" way to do this, but Im just not sure the band is gonna be ready for that kind of "hourly" commitment.

Yes I know, and you end up being the bad engineer..  :)
I'd say just be honest/polite and tell them the options.
Political correctness is always a challenge in sessions  :)

nice way to said it warpie...

sr, I was saying you to send me just the vocal track of any song so I can hear it and see what I can do, if you like send me a second track with the rest of the band to have the reference...

JS

Latest posts

Back