Quick question regarding 1176 and LA-2A build

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Che_Guitarra

G'day guys.  I'll keep it brief - I plan on building both a LA-2A and a 1176, but I need some more info before I start accumulating parts.

- LA-2A:  I'd like to use the Drip Opto 4 PCB, but the website indicates they've sold out of these items - I am trying to work out if that means temporarily sold out or permanently sold out.  I've tried to contact Drip Electronics about this but no reply to this stage (it's holiday season after all).

- 1176:  I'd love to build a revision B blue-stripe, as that's what my beloved CLA Bluey plugin is based around.  For ease of support though, I might just stick to a Rev A.  Can anybody confirm with me that revisions A and B are more similar in response than they are different?  And what is the noise floor difference between a Rev A and Rev D?

Thanks guys  ;)

I just have one more question - i'll build the 1176 first, and the Hairball kit will be my starting point.  After reading every online possibility about unit revisions it seems rev. D is going to be closer to the CLA blue stripe than rev. A... so scratch my original plan.

In regards to the rev. D Hairball kit (http://hairballaudio.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=66), I just want to confirm that these transformers are the best option for the 1176 circuit, or should I try source a Sowter alternative?  Living in Australia i'd also like to know if there's a 240V PT available -  I know 230V is within operating tolerance, but ultimately i'd prefer a 240V alternative for peace of mind.

Thanks again.

you should post the 1176 question in mNats thread for his PCB, since that is what the Hairball kit uses. 

Drip lists his phone number/email on his website as well as responding about his gear on his own forum.  you should contact him there.

Thanks for the info Mulletchuck - i'm a newbie and still working my way around the forum, but i'll get there  :)

I have looked through some of the 1176 threads, but with some being more than 150+ pages long they can get a little overwhelming  :eek:

Latest posts

Back