Orion 32 Multi-Channel AD/DA Converter

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Soon 1MHz 64bit sampling rate... they have suffered severe brain damage! but this converter is really nice...

JS

It has a lot of issues as of now.  I know a studio here in town who has received 2 that have not worked.  I think they should have done more beta testing before releasing it. 

yes, Antelope is well known for the quality of their clocks. reasonably priced too and very reliable. hope for them this Orion system will work stable and reliabe for most configurations soon.

It's a nice unit.
I have it running madi to an SSL madixtreme, in a pcie to thunderbolt chassis.
Works really well with a mac mini.

Thing to consider, AD and DA only go up to +20dBu.
Being used to +24, I was surprised and need to adjust things in my gear.
That said, I couldn't hear any nasty distortion when it was clipping.

berkleystudios said:
anymore news on this? thinking of pulling the trigger on one in march but would like more insight from those using it

There's an "endless" threat on GS

No personal experience, sorry.

I actually have one and love it!! Sounds super good, and is so much better with Pro Tools HD 10 than my SSL madi converter ever was. Switching between sample rates always had issues prior to using the Orion. I also love the form factor. I have it running through USB on 64bit win 7 by the way. Latency hasn't been an issue with inserts or recording and seems to report latency correctly while mixing.

Cant say a bad thing really!!

Anyone using one of these with Cubase?

Edit : I should mention I'm particularly interested in how the interface performs when using is for sends and returns for external effects...

Hi

Got one too. Performs well with Cubase. No problem using external effects. Hooked all my Comps to it. Its loop Latency is 2 ms. (Add the Asio Drivers Latency - will be relvant when chaining more external FX within the software, recording VST Instruments or virtual amps). Sound Quality is pristine. I didnt yet manage to use all the 32 Channels with USB. Windows 7 keeps saying: USB Bandwith exceeded. Doesnt mater for me now.

You wont regret buying it.

Cheers.

I'm using the Orion 32 with cubase 5. Routing to external hardware and back has a very fast round trip as Bassniac stated.  The software routing options and presets are really great. But the bottom line is that it just sounds astonishing!

Back