Client:1 Studio:0

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sr1200

I was beaten by a client last night.  Not physically mind you (thats a whole different story from a time long ago) but beaten none the less technologically. 
Client wanted a delay where each delay pitch shifted down by a certain semi tone...  I set it up on an aux how I **USED** to do it in the analog domain... result... CRAP!  I didn't have a pitch shift plugin that was up to the task. (i have a LOT of plugins, just not many pitch altering ones that can be used as RTAS and of them... nothing good enough).  So I wound up making a bunch of copies of the phrase to be delayed, and manually pitch shifted them down in increments then applied a fade over it... good enough "for now" but wont cut it in my book for mix down. 

So in my anger, after the client left, i spent the better part of 2 hours looking for things that would do this as well (or hopefully better) than the way i used to do it analog style... nothing.  So i went out in the cold, 1:30 am, into the storage area for all the old gear, pulled out an old alesis quadraverb.  Hooked it up, pitch shift down, re-fed into the delay aux, voila! Analog wins again!

Went out and got the Eventide H3000 plugin today... lets see how this works out...
I would love to get an old boss pitch shift pedal (which is what i used to use for this sort of thing) and a delay pedal and rack em up.  Has anyone ever tried to 500 series a guitar pedal?

yes, was referring more to the fact that it was something achieved easier OUT of the box than in, I dont remember if the boss pedal was digital or analog... hmm...

Indeed an outboard "digital" efx unit.

You don't mention your digital environment, or I am not clever enough to figure it out, but it is not reasonable to ASSume that digital plug-ins or built in affects can cover every outboard effect ever done... I believe that is why digital consoles still have inserts (as least some of them).

And yes about the only justification for OTB mixing (not the oft repeated nonsense about digital summing being somehow inferior). You get to use your legacy effects.

JR

Digi env. is PT10HD Native.
As far as the digital stuff goes, tried a couple of WAVES plugins, ultrapitch SUCKS.  Doubler sounded better but had to chain 2 together to get the amount of "detune" needed. I have some guitar pedal emulations that were downright aweful.  And avid doesn't have their pitch shift plugin as RTAS (only AS).  Going to try out the eventide plugin tomorrow to see if their pitch alg's are any better.

Soundtoys Crystallizer is pretty good. Their stuff (see Echoboy, etc) has its own "sound," which I don't like on everything, but you can try it for free.

Audio Damage also has one called Discord. I've never used it, but everything else they make sounds incredible--very reasonable prices, too. That would be my first bet.

Latest posts

Back