G7 mic earthing - best practice

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteC

Hi

I am nearing completion of my G7 project.

PSU and mic pcbs are finished and now I am working on the mic body.

I have been reading extensively on the earthing and wanted to check I have understood it correctly.

1) Safety earth in PSU connected to chassis - as per standard safety practice
2) All other earths connected at the mic body - best accomplished by connecting pin 1 of the 7 pin xlr to the mic body.
3) Heater 0v ( pin 7 of mic xlr ) also connected to this point
4) HT 0v ( pin 5 of mic xlr ) also connected to this point.
5) No other ground connections from the PSU board or PSU xlrs to the PSU housing.

In practice how do people connect the earth point to the mic body - solder tag on one of the baseplate screws etc ?

Cheers
Pete

many thanks Jakob,

and thanks also for designing and sharing such great projects - building several of your projects has finally brought high quality home recording within my reach !

Looking forward to hearing the G7's !

cheers
Pete

Hi there,
Sorry for bumping an old topic.

I just couldn't find an answer by searching the forums so I thought I'll ask here.

What should I do with the braided shielding of the cable? Should it be left with no connection?

Thanks!

Moshe

PeteC said:
Hi

I am nearing completion of my G7 project.

PSU and mic pcbs are finished and now I am working on the mic body.

I have been reading extensively on the earthing and wanted to check I have understood it correctly.

1) Safety earth in PSU connected to chassis - as per standard safety practice
2) All other earths connected at the mic body - best accomplished by connecting pin 1 of the 7 pin xlr to the mic body.
3) Heater 0v ( pin 7 of mic xlr ) also connected to this point
4) HT 0v ( pin 5 of mic xlr ) also connected to this point.
5) No other ground connections from the PSU board or PSU xlrs to the PSU housing.

I thought pin 5 of the mic xlr is for pattern voltage, but this post states  "HT 0v"  ?

Back