Official C12 Clone - Build and Support Thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I'm sorry my capsules have  been so unavailable in the last few months. During that time I've aquired some new CNC equipment and changed some of the mechanical assembly of my capsule in order to make my parts interchangeable with AKG's.
I do a lot of repair work on original capsules and so it's advantageous to have my parts interchangeable with theirs.
More capsules should begin being available for DIYers. The price is still 2000 danish kroner ( around 370 dollars) and I have a cadiod only version available for 1500 danish kroner (around 290 dollars).

Good news, Tim.  :D

During that time I've aquired some new CNC equipment and changed some of the mechanical assembly of my capsule in order to make my parts interchangeable with AKG's.
I'm curious what exactly you've changed in your capsules? Anything that would have an acoustic difference? And does it affect how they historically compare to original c12 capsules?
At what point will you be shipping the 'new' capsule style?

Hey Tim,
Great to hear your capsules will be available once again! I'm loving mine :)
I just have a question concerning your back plate assembly as it appears different to the pictures and photos on Saturn Sound in that your primary and secondary back-plate look to be one piece where as the Saturn sound drawings depict the secondary back plate as a separate screw in part.

CK12%20-%20view%20of%20rear%20of%20the%20backplates.jpg

CK12%20-%20view%20of%20backplate%20being%20screwed%20together.jpg

index.php

CK12%20-%20view%20of%20differance%20between%20the%20backplates.jpg

Is your Ck12 a copy of particular or unusual CK12 Variation?

Attachments

• rev3 TIM CAMPBELL.jpg
    rev3 TIM CAMPBELL.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 65
OPR my backplates are also 2 pieces of co-joined brass but the joint is hidden in this pic.
The sound of my capsules remains true to my favorite, original AKG CK12. All my current capsules shipping are my "new" capsule unless requested.
The major differences that are obvious from my old capsules are the 4 screw connections to the backplates and the 3 sets of mounting holes so in these ways they are more true to the original.

Ahh I see ..well kind of ;) It looks completely seamless in that pic! are there any sonic differences in the new revision? also for clarity can you explain what the physical and sonic differences are between the two revisions?

Tim Campbell said:
Melodeath, since I can't guess your name I can't be sure exactly about the scenario with your capsule.  I get a gazillion emails so sometimes it's hard to remember all of them.
Anyone is welcome to send a capsule of mine to me for adjustment. This has always been my policy.
I must have just assumed you'd send them .
I have gladly made capsules brighter simply because an owner compared them to a TLM103, never having heard a CK12, but was sure that since a CK12 is a bright capsule it should sound as bright as his TLM103.

Hi Tim, thanks for the reply - I'll shoot you another email this weekend to try to get it all sorted out. Congrats on the new revision to your capsule, btw!

Hi Tim, and anyone who knows the answer to this Q, are we to assume that if we emailed you for an order we are on the list? I'm not concerned about time, I just hope i'm on it.

thanx
T

tonycamp said:
Hi Tim, and anyone who knows the answer to this Q, are we to assume that if we emailed you for an order we are on the list? I'm not concerned about time, I just hope i'm on it.

thanx
T

I don't think the situation has changed, and Tim can of course correct me if I am wrong. . . If you get a reply back from Tim confirming your order, you are in the queue.  If not, you are not on the list. . . try to contact him again periodically.

Tony, as Chunger has said, unless I have verified that you are on my list then I haven't put you down for a capsule. As I'm currently taking new orders please email me again.

Hey fella's, a sample of the Matachung C12 (tim capsule) and a MK47 in action over here...
http://realgearonline.com/post/23074/thread

I built the mic with good results. Now I started experimenting with other parts. I am very curious about the types of resistors and caps. Considering using carbon comp resistors now. They seem to add something to the sound in high voltage circuits, as some web literature suggests. Also, a double check into the telefunken website revealed two versions of the same mic, one with metal film resistors, other with carbon comp.

Words/experiences in this?

Tim Campbell said:
OPR my backplates are also 2 pieces of co-joined brass but the joint is hidden in this pic.
The sound of my capsules remains true to my favorite, original AKG CK12. All my current capsules shipping are my "new" capsule unless requested.
The major differences that are obvious from my old capsules are the 4 screw connections to the backplates and the 3 sets of mounting holes so in these ways they are more true to the original.

And a piece of warning, If you order one of Tim's incredible capsules... be sure you have some M2 screwdrivers.... Those have the thinest handle I have even seen in my life. And if you don't have them... well I hope you are a trained surgeon.

But believe me, the sound is 100% worth it

Sorry about the screw size but it is the same as used by AKG on the originals - M1 metric. The mounting screws are steel as opposed to brass so a magnetic screwdriver might help.

The screws are small but really not as bad as some make them out to be.  Plus, once you get them threaded they go in like butter.  The plastic Tim puts over the membranes is a big help.  Without that I'd be sweating bullets installing his capsules.

Tim, is there any way you could identify one of your capsules? Any kind of serial, date or ID#?

Tim Campbell said:
Sorry about the screw size but it is the same as used by AKG on the originals - M1 metric. The mounting screws are steel as opposed to brass so a magnetic screwdriver might help.

Never complained :)

It is just a piece of warning...  The only difficult time is to remove it from the plastic... Maybe you could leave it slightly unthreaded to make it easier?

Got my mic built...2nd one now, but, when I probe the heater section on the tube, to test my heater voltage, I'm getting 163V! What could be wrong? Thanks.

Back