dual project 312 pres feeding gssl

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orangerec

Hi, I decided to start a new project with a bunch of spare parts I had. It's two 312 mic pres feeding a gssl buss compressor powered by a FiveFish PSU-2448 mk2 in a dual rack chassis. Since the 2448 can power four +-15V mic pres, I figured this would be a good candidate for this project. The gssl gets it's proper voltage and the two 312s also get their +-15V and the 48V phantom. So, the gssl works, the two 312s also work but, I'm using the fourth connection to power the bulbs in my VU meter and also a power bulb. The bulbs for the meter are two cm386 (14v) and the power jewel bulb is an AML-47 (6.3v). I'm using a couple resistors to knock down the voltage for the AML-47. Like I said the gssl worked fine on its own and so did the 312s. Now that everything is all wired up, the unit works fine for about 4 minutes and then there is a voltage drop on the +15V rail across the 312s and the gssl. It must be happening at the PSU. The heat sinks on PSU get very hot. To the point where you cant touch them. I'm assuming the bulbs are too much? Any ideas or should I just disconnect the bulbs?

Option 1
Use LED'S for illumination, The high current consumption of the incandescent lamp's is overloading the regulators.
Most VU meters/power indicators can be changed to led's with a bit of carefull diy ingenuity.
All my studio outboard vintage units now have led mods.

Option 2
Seperate PSU for illumination

Yeah, totally the bulbs. The unit worked great for an hour straight without the bulbs. I'm just going to wire in LEDs. Thanks for your help.

Latest posts

Back