Digi 002R modding!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BertH

Hi all, a while ago, I made a thread about getting a 002 or not, now, Yesterday, I bought it, for 120 euros. Very reasonable price, it seemed, and it is!

the unit is in good condition, except for one thing. several caps on the PSU are already a little blown up, and 2 started to leak slightly on the top.

8688777766_eae00d090f_b.jpg

8687657951_75c86c45fe_b.jpg

You can see the blown up caps, and the 2 leaking ones, Also, you can see the white stuff in the first photo, which is glue, making it extra hard to unsolder the darn things.

I powered the unit up, without anything connected, and it started up flawlessly (not even any trouble with the power harness, at first sight), yet the caps need to be replaced.

Now, as I need to replace things on the PSU, "why not mod it"? I read everywhere the Digi002 PSU is noisy, and BLA replaces it with a linear PSU. However, as I can see in the youtube video they posted about their Digi002 mod, they add a toroid transformer, and filter caps etc, but do seem to "reuse" some of the original PSU (albeit modified, as they say it runs on a higher voltage rail).

Has anyone here had experience with the BLA mod, and would be able to give me some insight on the PSU upgrade?
If possible, I plan to add a linear power supply, running at +/- 18V, rather than the +/-12V. Anyone had some experience with that too? And how hard would it be to build an entirely new PSU, rather than replacing components...

UPDATE: looking at photo's on the internet, the PSU in my digi002 appears to have a different layout, and the "case" is a different material... could it be that it's already been replaced later on?
here's the PSU that's in mine:
http://www.unipowerco.com/pdf/ae-080u-ds.pdf

Thanks in advance,
Bert.

Very interesting!
I have Digi002 the console and im interesting modding my Digi002 like you!
I read all about Digi002 BLA mod!

But never got a guts to dig in and make some mod!

BLA use linear PSU -/+18V to deacrease noise,so i think that will be good to do new linear PSU for this aplication!

Toroid will be good for this....

But told you that i never got a balls for do it i afraid that i can ruin something!

I was slightly afraid, when opening "the beast", SMD usually isn't my cup of tea, did some repairs on PC cards, and other SMD stuff, but this appears to be bigger components, "should be fine"...

I found a pic of the BLA PSU mod, showing the toroid & filter caps, in a thread on gearslutz (see attachment), which appears to be a fairly "regular" PSU configuration. and they modify the original psu, probably cutting of the switching supply, and plugging in on the regulators.

I read in the datasheet of the original psu, that it's fairly easy to change configurations, (hence the name "easymod"), so might investigate on that, so that I might keep the original psu "intact" for a part, at least...

I'd send it to BLA, but I just can't justify spending $1000+ on the digi002, and shipping costs would be very high too...
And, they can't have all the fun, can't they? :)

I've also been thinking, if I can't re-use the original psu, how about an external PSU? any benefit?

hereby, also, a disclaimer: I respect the work Black Lion audio does, in every way. They offer a great range of products, and, as I've read, great service too. I have no intention of "stealing" their work, nor to commercially release any of the mods I attempt to make here.

Regards,
and keep them spinning,
Bert.

Attachments

• BLACK LION 8.jpg
    BLACK LION 8.jpg
    1,003.6 KB · Views: 164
Hi Berth, I think that your PSU is the "older" one, digi replace them for another  not "gold metal". The older ones seems to have some issues with 5V and seems that they can produce instabilities on digital parts, sometimes.  The old DC-harness they replace too for similar problems on units that didnt boot properly or have instabilities too... I have to say I've seen units that do not fail with old psu and old dc-harness, but your caps looks not good...

Arnau

Hi Arnau,

I was afraid that answer would come up somewhere...

Anyone happen to have a good schematic for a power supply? I might build a new one from scratch.

I'd build the preamp power supply from ESP (project 05), but they aren't powerful enough...

Update:

Would a LM138/338 circuit work for the analog line stage voltage (+-12V now, +-18V (goal))

Anyone have experience with these regs?

Regards,
Bert.

Okay!

I fixed the original PSU for now, darn psu was so stuffed!

Did some more extensive checks, quickly cleaned the power harness. Everything is working, and no troubles with the power harness so far. Hooray!

In the meanwhile, I'm drawing out a linear PSU, completely new, oversized toroid, and completely regulated.

Any tips? :) Still looking for the most optimal regulator here. at this moment a dilemma between the LM338 or the LM317 with booster transistors...

Regards,
Bert.

I supose you have it... on a gold psu they say: +5v/3.5A, +3.3V/1A, -12V/0.5A, +12V/3.5A. It seems that would be easier with the lm338/138 if they can supply 5A alone... less parts, only needed for the +5V and +12V rails, the other rails would be ok with less power capable components...  in any case I have never designed a PSU for a think like that and I'm not sure how it is best I'm just speculating.

Arnau

BertH said:
I'd send it to BLA, but I just can't justify spending $1000+ on the digi002, and shipping costs would be very high too...

Looking at your picture of that BLA 'upgraded' power supply, I can't believe they charge money for that hacked together pos.

You could buy a couple power one linear supply's, put the, in an ammo box and be happy.

Regards,
Mark

Hi guys.. interested on digi 002 power supply mod too.. is there any of you did it yet? I really want to learn how to do it.. if anyone will kindly help I will be very thankful. really dont know where to start.. did write to BLA but they're not selling just the additional psu.. Im too poor for the BLA mod..

Thanks in advance...

Thanks for the info.. Im actually not using pro tools but Sonar. cant afford expensive stuff.. still looking for info where do I should start with  the mod.

Perhaps it depends on OS ver . the drivers are also listed as avid now ,
going to 64 bit changes allot of things and avid doesn't say there is support for the 002
but if you're up todate on everything and it works , Great

Latest posts

Back