pro tools 11

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

Was at a demo of pro tools 11 last night. I wasn't totally impressed as it kept having errors when playing back stuff. I know it was still a beta but considering that they said they will be shipping soon makes me wonder how buggy the software will be

I don't need it. Just updated some 15+ ProTools to 10 at work,
and I'm waiting for 25 more updates.
As far as I know PT11 still has a licence for 10, so all fine right now.

I just need all at the same level, no features or "11 only" for the systems nut updated yet. Would be a pain.

Im gonna be in on it when it releases.  64bit would actually help out right now with VI's and larger mixes. (RAM usage mainly).
As [S:A] stated, it comes with a 10 license which I already have, so if there's anything crazy going on with it, I'll just keep going on 10.  (btw, anyone that hasn't gone to 10, the clip gain feature alone is worth the upgrade!)

keeping with Silent Arts approach, we are not upgrading from PT9. The HDX cards would mean we need to update:
8 HD systems (hardware + software)
5 HD|Native (HD software - and HD'Sync for one of the systems)
over 50 Native systems (software).

We will skip the step and upgrade at some point on 11 and our marketing and PR dept is working closely on AVID to get an hardware rebate deal for the HDX's.

There was the idea of upgrading all native systems whilst waiting for the hardware rebate to be done and it's not worth it. The amount of issues we've been having with people bringing sessions from 10 to 9 alone is crazy. We can't allow/promote those incompatibility issues to happen internally.

It's *disgusting* to say the least AVID's attitude towards their hard core - long term - costumers. We've kept this number of protools programs running for almost a decade now and every single update version we get utterly screwed.

I hear ya jp... A partner of mine at a studio out of state, still using pt9, gets me to "down grade" session files his clients brings in all the time.  Never had an issue with compatibility after the conversion though.

Never had an issue with compatibility after the conversion though.
these were my team's daily nightmares:

AVID said:
Using the Save Copy In command to save to session formats lower than Pro Tools 10 converts all audio for sessions with
interleaved files (PTSW-152737)
When saving a Pro Tools 10.x session that has a mix of interleaved and non-interleaved (multi-mono) audio files to a lower session format (such as Pro Tools 7–9 “.ptf”), all audio files are converted (even if they are not interleaved).
Using the Save Copy In command from Pro Tools 10 (.ptx) to Pro Tools 9 and lower session formats cannot link to audio files
with names including certain characters (PTSW-163844)
In sessions containing tracks or files with special keyboard characters—such as “$,” “%,” or “#”—using the Save Copy In command to
save to Pro Tools legacy formats is not supported and may result in problems copying files. To avoid this issue, rename any tracks or
audio files containing special keyboard characters before saving a session in a legacy format

:(((((((((((((

As I understand it, the new version of Pro Tools will also require you to re-buy all of your plugins because of the new 'engine'.
So that's new hardware, new software, and new problems.
I guess this all contributes to Avid's CEO's massive salary of $4 million a year.
It strikes me that the studio market is shrinking and there aren't the budgets around now for re-buying all your equipment every couple of years. Especially if it doesn't do anything particularly new!

barclaycon said:
As I understand it, the new version of Pro Tools will also require you to re-buy all of your plugins because of the new 'engine'.
So that's new hardware, new software, and new problems.
I guess this all contributes to Avid's CEO's massive salary of $4 million a year.
It strikes me that the studio market is shrinking and there aren't the budgets around now for re-buying all your equipment every couple of years. Especially if it doesn't do anything particularly new!

while that is true it's not the first time we have had to do that, remember when HD first came out and the jump from mix systems. I am more concerned with the new problems.

I fell at this point a HD native is the bang for your buck system. Now if that works with an apollo 16 your all set as UAD plug in's are awesome and priced right

Jeez bashing Avid is almost as exciting as talking about the loudness wars...... 

If you want to upgrade go ahead and upgrade.  If not stay where you are.  I've been using a HD rig on PT 8 up until this week, it's been fantastic.  I have 10HD on my laptop. Will go 11 on both when it proves stable.

ruairi, some of us don't have that option. Upgrade is necessary as we need to be able to comply with client's requirements.
But with today budgets, buying new (expensive) hardware is not always feasible, even for big companies.

It's not down to personal choice to upgrade. If it were, I would stop at 7.4. The most stable system I ever had.
Unfortunately, you can't. You loose business. clients will either expect you:

- To be at forefront of technology (even though new is not always better)
- Able to take on most sessions and formats. 10+11 sessions are not compatible with 9 or legacy.
Yes you can save copy as in legacy format, but your client will loose hours of his/her work (automation, clip gain, pan laws, so many other things).

jplebre said:
- Able to take on most sessions and formats. 10+11 sessions are not compatible with 9 or legacy.
Yes you can save copy as in legacy format, but your client will loose hours of his/her work (automation, clip gain, pan laws, so many other things).

and keep in mind to at list to keep one PT8 or PT9 system. if the client comes with an older session and SDII files you are not able to open it in PT10 or 11 ...
while we don't have clients, we sometimes need to do little edits in up to 10 years old sessions.

I stopped using SDII the moment pro tools had a  broadcast wave option. I've come to the conclusion that one must flatten tracks if the session is going anywhere and even then you may still have issues. While yes it's easy to bash avid we do it because we are frustrated and see the big $$ it will take to make such a leap. While upgrades are a constant in the computer world which is where we live now days, there is no real reason to have it be as costly as it is. To be honest if they were smart they would make it less expensive and then make up the difference by selling more units/systems.  More over, the way avid bottlenecks the system, on purpose I might add, to get you either having to purchase a full HD system or deal with some of the missing features is ridiculous.  There is no reason to do that other then they want you to buy a full system.

I know it is a pain when you have multiple machines to upgrade.  My question is what is it that people would have Avis do? - not upgrade regularly (I can see that going down well) or make the upgrades cheaper (no profits or shortcuts on testing/development).

Reaper is as good as free and very powerful, lots of other options too.  Either Pro Tools is worth it or no but endless carping on forums has done very little to help.

Carping on forums like this is what gets things changed.
It alerts people like Avid that their customers are seriously pissed off by the assumption that we will just simply just spend more of our 'hard-earned' on whatever they come up with.
Like I said, the business is not what it used to be. Budgets are tight.
Apart from anything else, you look at the next big thing from Avid and think 'Can it do stuff that we couldn't do before?'. 'Is it better quality?' Have they addressed the problems we were having?
And most importantly: 'Is it going to bring in more paying customers!
If Avid have got any sense they will take note of what people are saying on forums like this.

Clearly you are very happy with the way Pro Tools is going and have the cash to upgrade.
A lot of people aren't in that position.
I probably won't be buying the new hardware, the new software, the new versions of my plugins etc. etc. Not because I'm a Luddite... I just can't afford it.
Maybe Avid should look at the current situation with Windows 8 - the 'new' operating system that people don't like and aren't falling over themselves to buy!

I'm not trying to be controversial, but, seriously, why do people keep using Pro-Tools?

I don't see a single free or paid alternative DAW that isn't at least as good if not equal or in a lot of cases better to it in terms of stability, feature set and ease of use.

Is it the inertia behind old purchases, clients demanding it without really knowing why, or some other reason?

I'm quite curious. Every experience I've ever had with Pro-Tools makes me happier and happier I don't have it at home.

Pro-Stools <g> lives on because it is a "must have" on your equipment list if you are appealing to the uninformed.  It sort of reminds me of years ago, when having a SSL desk was a "must" if you wanted to be "big time".

This may provoke another firestorm, but for many of the same reasons, many studios and/or clients will insist on the plant being wired with Mogami cable.  Not that Mogami is bad...far from it...but it apparently has excellent marketing.

Bri

barclaycon said:
Carping on forums like this is what gets things changed.
It alerts people like Avid that their customers are seriously pissed off by the assumption that we will just simply just spend more of our 'hard-earned' on whatever they come up with.

Well the reason CPTK/PT 11 upgrade decision proves that you are somewhat right on that front.

Apart from anything else, you look at the next big thing from Avid and think 'Can it do stuff that we couldn't do before?'. 'Is it better quality?' Have they addressed the problems we were having?

I would say the answer to all of these things has been yes in recent upgrades.

And most importantly: 'Is it going to bring in more paying customers!

Seriously?  You said it yourself, budgets are tight.  It's a competitive market and everyone has Pro Tools - having a certain version of Pro Tools in not determining who is doing well and who is not these days - it's all about what you offer your clients, gear has never been so democratic (for better or worse).

Clearly you are very happy with the way Pro Tools is going and have the cash to upgrade.
A lot of people aren't in that position.
I probably won't be buying the new hardware, the new software, the new versions of my plugins etc. etc. Not because I'm a Luddite... I just can't afford it.

I don't like everything about the changes which is why I waited so long, as I say my HD rig is still a G5 on PT8!  I just recently got 10HD for my laptop and it sounds better and has a number of features that are great.  For folks who cannot afford the upgrade right now just get on with making music on your rigs and let Avid do what they will.

Back