Riggler's and Tskguy's M49 / M50 bodies

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
riggler said:
Update November 16, sold out! Feeling for run 4...

I would like to buy four.

riggler_50_body.jpg

This is where you can get M49 / M50 mic bodies.

PRICE:

$285 USD [Includes Paypal fees and U.S. Shipping]

I would like to buy four.

** For European / global buyers the cost is $335 USD. That includes USPS flat rate shipping.

$15 from each body sale goes to the forum! We are not running a high profit margin on these...

We are now in the fourth run. We are not taking money for runs 3 or 4 until we ship out runs 1 and 2.

Please paypal your money to:

[email protected]

Please provide your name, email address, telephone number, GroupDIY username, and quantity in your Paypal transaction.

This is now a feeler thread to see if we can do another run. Please reply to this thread if you are interested, with the quantity you want. If we hit another 25, we can possibly do another run.

**Price does not include the Binder connector or any other hardware. (If you want to, you can use a different connector.)

These bodies were drawn  / modeled by Riggler. Tskguy hooked up the manufacture. This thread will be updated with more information as it comes. We waited to post this thread because we wanted to have a good, solid prototype in hand. The finished units will be better bead blasted than the prototype depicted here, giving a lush, smooth finish to the mic body. As soon as we have one we will post pictures.

Features:

• Made out of brass
  • Brass 3-layered mesh in the original configuration
  • Finish is bead blasted, nickel plated
  • Designed to fit Dany's (Poctop) boards, or your own 60mm boards
  • Designed to fit Binder 09-0043-00-07 connector
  • Internal mount holes for 8-32 threaded rod

Eric has posted some early build pics and a sound sample, yay!

DISCUSSION THREAD:

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=50657

PAID

--------------------INITIAL RUN--------------------------------
June 13, 2013

le roux (1)
riggler (2)
diylan (2)
ddageek (1)
dissonantstring (1)
pip (3)
jeri (2)
chunger (1)
bruno2000 (3)
chuckd (1)
steph.b (2)
marc duchesne (1)
dandeurloo (1)
dmp (1)
bkbirge (2)
jared_s (1)

-------------------SECOND RUN-------------------------------
kmb_audio (1)
riggler (2)
0dbfs (3)
bill_b (1)
scott_humphrey (2)
imo (1)
johnnyk (1)
kongelyd (2)
dmp (1)
ddageek (1)
tskguy (2)
bruce0 (1)
morbleu (1)
scott_r (1)
adrian (2)
winetree (2)
poctop (1)

----------FEELER FOR 3RD RUN-------------
        **DO NOT SEND MONEY**

melodeath00 (1)
david r (1)
ross (2)
mwrichardson (1)
woot (2)
winser (1)
sterner (1)
christopher l (1)
yoons (2)
kvothe (2)
aaron (2)
phrazemaster (1)
timeye (2)
ajemut (2)
rainton (1)
jpalden (2)
jimmcg (2)

I keep in mind that Riggler and Tskguy are doing this on their own time and are holding down other jobs. It is DIY after all, and they have run into some snaggers beyond their expectations/control. I feel they are working hard to resolve issues.

I was a little surprised too, however, at the variances in the units sent to 0dbfs, but hopefully such issues can be resolved.

In any case, please continue to count me in Riggler and I hope you will be shipping soon and taking orders/money for the 3rd run.

Thanks, and I'm sure my mic body will be great.

Best,

Mike

Hey boys,

Sorry for the lack if response... Yes the saga continues!! So the basket hight is only one small issue of hundreds :) so please understand it was simply something I didn't think about..moving for word once I start shipping I will make sure we match any pairs to be the same..

Also here is the latest update, we are still missing the last box from the post office..it's not lost but in the recovery center in Atlanta. I have been pinging the machinist weekly for updates. The ones I do have required hours of work to get them sorted. I did some test plating and all is looking good. I just need to do some final finish work and then it's off to the plater. I hope to have that completed this week. I really want everyone to know what a huge drain this has been for me. I truly think the guy we hired is mentally disabled!!! The amount of extra work I have been doing is affecting my personal life as well as my capsule business! So please understand  that I am doing my best to get this sorted..

Eric

Eric
Don't worry we appreciate all you guys have invested in this.  I think this thread should be a must read / warning to anyone attempting a large undertaking such as this.
I think at this point non of us is in a hurry. Your life is more important than are mics, just keep us updated every 2-4 weeks
Thanks again for all your hard work
Eric

+1 on that. I'll add that I am very happy with my mic bodies. There are so many out there that are mass produced / stamped "widgets" while these are exceptionally robust hand made pieces which have a story. I've got some Thiersch capsules ordered and while I am waiting on that production to complete I am working on finishing these. Something like this but still in progress.

Cheers!
-jb

Attachments

• photo (4).JPG
    photo (4).JPG
    451.3 KB · Views: 103
Hi guys, personally sorry for my lack of appearance on this thread for the past few weeks. Well as someone else said it is true that we are doing this while holding down regular jobs, etc. I am going through a job change right now, freelance schedule has been insane and my mom has needed more and more attention. All that aside:

Eric and I do stay in contact with each other - and the machinist. It is MY PERSONAL COMMITMENT that everyone gets the best bodies we can produce, and yes, we will overcome every hurdle! I am driving to Eric to pickup plated bodies the weekend of the 26th-27th and will ship what we have from there. And I want you all to know, no matter how busy things are, etc, we have absolutely not wasted any time on moving things along. By that I mean we are not dropping the ball on taking next steps and communicating.

I know there must be a lot of upset people because of all of these delays, please know that we are on top of this as much as we can be. Thank you again for your patience with us.

The thread for the PCB standoff is 4-40. The setscrews are a custom screw (so that the head peeks out into the outer tube cleanly). I am going to get more of those made so that we have some extras. (Actually I believe we should have some extras right now). For now if you guys lose a screw, let me know.

I have lost all my screws, HA HA...

I will talk to Eric about that height issue. It's from the seating of the mesh assembly. 0dBFs if you want yours corrected please let me know.

Winetree, we are doing everything we can. If you want to talk over anything please let me know, I will send you my number. The last thing we want is anyone upset with us.

Thanks for the updates!  I'll bet the only folks who are upset are those who have never tried anything like you guys did.
Best,
Bruno2000

I'm very happy with mine and rather enjoy them as is so no worries at all.

Your guys work and dedication on this project is very apparent and much appreciated.

Another option for the custom set-screws (regarding longer term maintenance like 10+ years from now or whatever) is to just retap as needed.

Have a good weekend!

Cheers!
-jonathan

I believe the thread on the setscrews is 6/32, the custom part of the setscrew is the milled down head. You could just use a 6/32 hex-head setscrew, which are common to find, but you'd need to open up the outer tube holes a little bit then so that the tool can fit into the screw. I like the screws we got though in the end. Thread pitch is not as fine, looks original on the outside. When I make mine I will be putting just a small dab of blue threadlock on them.

Bruno, I get your point, but I do believe people have a right to be upset that it is taking this long. In the end we want to see everyone happy with the mics!

No worries... not upset here.

I am fine, even thrilled, with you taking the time to get it right, and I know that it has presented some very tough challenges.

My "bump" was just about the radio silence - I wanted to make sure my order didn't fall through a crack.  But i see my name on the list and so I am content.

(And you don't need to be apologetic, s--t happens, I think a brief status from time to time would keep most of us patient and happy).

Winetree, we are doing everything we can. If you want to talk over anything  please let me know, I will send you my number. The last thing we want is anyone upset with us.
I've been DIYing for 4-1/2 years since I joined this list. I have waited over a year for capsules, and almost that long for a TG-500  stereo kit and time for other projects.  It's a little disconcerting  when you have money out with little forum response and such a long time period without product.  Yes I have made some comments but only to let new list members, who might think they are going to get the product tomorrow,  know we have been waiting for quite some time. I'm not upset or mad, just waiting.
Thanks for the updates!  I'll bet the only folks who are upset are those who have never tried anything like you guys did.
I have taken on many projects in my life and completed them, from custom cars, motorcycles, homes, recording studios, and hundreds of DIY projects. I've have never taken on any project without planning, researching and contacting professional people to do the work. This has always lead to a finished final product in a timely manner.
A microphone body, to me,  just doesn't seem to  be that difficult of a project.

Winetree said:
Winetree, we are doing everything we can. If you want to talk over anything  please let me know, I will send you my number. The last thing we want is anyone upset with us.
I've been DIYing for 4-1/2 years since I joined this list. I have waited over a year for capsules, and almost that long for a TG-500  stereo kit and time for other projects.  It's a little disconcerting  when you have money out with little forum response and such a long time period without product.  Yes I have made some comments but only to let new list members, who might think they are going to get the product tomorrow,  know we have been waiting for quite some time. I'm not upset or mad, just waiting.
I have taken on many projects in my life and completed them, from custom cars, motorcycles, homes, recording studios, and hundreds of DIY projects. I've have never taken on any project without planning, researching and contacting professional people to do the work. This has always lead to a finished final product in a timely manner.
A microphone body, to me,  just doesn't seem to  be that difficult of a project.

With all due respect, sir, I, too, have done many projects, and most of them were "one-offs" just like the projects you list.  But until you take on a true "manufacturing" project, you can't fully appreciate what these folks are going through.  Just my $0.02.
Best,
Bruno2000

Hi guys,

I can see the great effort you have put in the production of these bodies.
So in order to keep the morals up, please put me on the list for one! ;)

Best,
Michael

Thanks for the kind words everyone... Good news! The first batch is at the plater!! All test mics are looking great!!
The lead time on the plater is a few weeks and the shipping will start!

tskguy said:
Thanks for the kind words everyone... Good news! The first batch is at the plater!! All test mics are looking great!!
The lead time on the plater is a few weeks and the shipping will start!

Cool. . .can you make me some capsules now?  ;D ;D

Latest posts

Back