Riggler's and Tskguy's M49 / M50 bodies

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm having a hard time finding the right size screw to mount the binder plate to the mic base.
A 4-40 starts to thread only a few turns, don't want to strip it out.
I can't find another size that fits, Is it tapped for the 4-40 and just filled with plating?
Any lead on 4-40 x 2-1/2" screws or threaded shift? Can't find at local hardware stores.

Hey winetree,

The Binder connector holes are M3 x 0.5, per the Binder spec. You can find those all over the internet. They use them for RC cars and also computers:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXRVA8&P=FR&gclid=CJjDtorOvMECFVNk7AodvDwAzQ

The threaded rod is 4-40. You can get that at hobby stores or hardware stores.

Please note that I would recommend getting low strength thread lock, like Loc-Tite blue for these. That way nothing will every get loose, but you will be able to get them out if you have to. Only a tiny bit is needed!

The M3xo.5 screws work for the binder base.
All The holes for the P.C.B. screws on both of my bodies are tapped for 4-40 screws.
The 8-32s are too big. I'll will have to keep on looking.

I better check the plans. They are on my other computer right now at work, will post in the morning. I could have sworn 8-32. However, I do remember (this is going back a long time) talking about 4-40. If you have a 4-40 screw and it threads, then it has to be 4-40.

tskguy/riggler

If you could tell when you ship unit number 20 or 30 then we would know when to look for them in the mail. I am in the second run, and pretty far down the list...  I have paid but  I am not in a hurry but I just want to make sure I am not forgotten. 

Thanks again for what seems like a fantastic project.

Bruce

Hey all,

I need some help! Does anyone know someone that lives in the Portland Oregon area??

Eric

bruce0 said:
If you could tell when you ship unit number 20 or 30 then we would know when to look for them in the mail.

I'm in the first batch but towards the end and I haven't been notified yet so I don't think they've made it through the first list even yet.

I was wondering where this is at. did round 3 go out and will a round 4 happen. think I'm in round 4 if that exists.

am looking for a body if anyone has one they don't want.

cheers.

Hi all,

Yes slooow it goes... BUT:

I met with  a really good die maker. He is only 45 minutes away from me. Also I met with a machinist local to me that is just awesome. Totally CNC, live tooling. I am getting a prototype made and saving up cash for a new die. (Not cheap!!) Both of these guys have shown me examples of their work and actually RETURN PHONE CALLS!

So if things go well I will be able to handle the majority of the work up here in PA and won't have to ship anything around either. This is really positive! For plating, there is a good local plater, but they don't like small jobs. So we might still plate in North Carolina. I am still going to try to find a reputable player here.

Eric is sending me 5 more bodies which I will be shipping out when I get them.

Winetree Eric has the screws, I will ask him to mail you two.

Hey Rig,

Any kind of ETA at all for those in the 3rd run? I'd love to work on this project, but I know there's been "a series of unfortunate events" as Lemony Snickett would say...

Thanks man; it would be nice to pay you guys this year for tax reasons.

Best,

Mike

Hi guys,

I have been working with local people to me. It's a breath of fresh air. Brass stock was ordered Tuesday to make a new set of test bodies. Tee stock I ordered Thursday for the trim bands. Machinist is all CNC, live tooling, and he is set with the exception of head baskets.

Diemaker is working on the die for headbaskets. He needed IGES files from me and I sent those out last night.

New plater is located about an hour away from me and he will price out the project when he gets a test body.

I found a local heat treating shop that can do hardening and annealing if needed.

So long as all of this goes well I do expect to do more runs. In fact it's the only way I will be able to recoup the out of pocket costs I am paying now to get tooled up.

At a bare minimum I am making the bodies that we owe to paid people. That is my priority. I don't want to speak too soon on future runs, but I am pretty sure they will happen.

Very disappointed that the guy we were using bailed on us the way he did. Karma...

On paying by the end of the year: I might very well be in production by then. I really want to have the mechanics worked out here with good finished prototypes before I take any more monies. I will try to post more on this thread to keep everyone updated!

I just updated the waiting list on the front page because I have had a lot of guys asking me if I knew they wanted a body. My PM box kept filling up.

Thanks Rig for the thoughtful and caring update. I realized after I posted it was a bit selfish of me, given all the issues you have run into. However, thanks for the update. Will be patient.

Mike

Back