Red DI in a speckled box

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geoff004

Here it is - from this thread:
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=50529.0

I followed the schematics posted for the audio path and for the B+.  The voltage reading I got came in at +171v.  For the heater voltage I simply used a common LM317 circuit.  For some reason I'm not getting a full 6.3v out of the LM317.  I only used one of the 6.3AC windings on the transformer.  Mine measured at around 5.9v.  That's fairly close to 6.3v and the unit sounds good, so I probably won't worry about the last 0.4v.
Did I mention this thing sounds great!

I have accumulated a lot of parts over the years so I tried my best to use what I had on hand.
I'll try to post a parts list later on when I've got a little more time.
For the essentials:
Case is from Dan Deurloo
Power transformer is from Antec Inc.
Output transformer is the Edcor mentioned in the thread above.

I was concerned about getting the whole thing together and having noise from the PSU but there seems to be absolutely none.  I didn't have to rotate the transformer or do any shielding.

photo_2.jpg

photo_3.jpg

photo_4.jpg

photo_5.jpg

I wired jumpers in the socket before mounting - 4->9 and 1->6.  One is high and the other is low.
photo.jpg

The only reasonable way I found it would all fit was by turning the transformer on it's side.  It's mounted by a piece of aluminum which is bent at a 90 degree angle and screwed to the bottom of the case.  For the power section I had some old tag board - it turned out to be the perfect length.
photo-2.jpg

For point to point it doesn't get much simpler than this.  I glue the caps down so they won't go anywhere.
One thing to note is to remove the paint in the case at the grounding points to ensure good metal to metal contact.
photo-3.jpg

photo-4.jpg

Hey, what a beautiful box. I love the p2p work you´ve done. I don´t want to hijack your thread, but I´ve finished almost the same thing, except it´s not a REDDI but a REDD47 with DI in a blue box.

LP_ready_009.jpg

LP_ready_002.jpg

DSCN0324.jpg

I must try these russian tubes as well. Got a few of them.

Well done!!!
regards
Bernd

Wow, guys.  Beautiful work both of you. 

I need to hear the DI!  I would love to add one of those to my options.

Cost was somewhere around the $200 mark.  Again I had a lot of parts on hand.
Basic breakdown is something like this:

Antek Inc power transformer -  AS-05T200 - $34 shipped
Edcor GXSE5-600-5K output transformer - $34 shipped
Case from Dan - $78 shipped
Tube Depot - terminal strip, tube and socket ~$20 shipped
Mouser - probably around another $40.  I ordered a bunch of stuff not related so it's hard to break down.
Shipping makes up a large percentage of the cost.

Here are a couple key mouser items that I used:
Power entry: 693-6200.2100
LED: 358-R9-104L-12-Y
1/4" input: 568-NJ3FP6C-BAG
XLR out: 568-NC3MD-LX-B

One thing to note - the power transformer has 6.3vac windings.  It's probably easier to use a 7806 for the heater than to bother with a LM317.  I didn't have any on hand.  Just a thought.

idylldon said:
Can you post the final schematic that you used? 

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=50529.60
Reply #67

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=50529.100
Reply #113 for the B+

Again, if you use the Antek tranny I mentioned just get a 7806.  Schematic would be something like: rectifier->some larger cap (say 2200uf/35v)->7806 with tantalum caps.  Someone could probably refine that.  You could mount the 7806 directly to the chassis and forgo a heat sink.  Actually you could build the whole heater supply on a terminal strip or 2.

dirty1_1garry said:
My congrats!
Nice to see some results of my participation in REDDI research! :)

All my thanks to you and CJ for the O/P transformer info.  It never would have happened with out you guys.

Hello geoff!

Very nice project and build!!

I am thinking of doing the same. So how do you like the sound so far? Do you had time to do some recordings with it? What can you tell us about your findings?

kind regards,
Wolfgang

One more Question to the tube-builders:

Is there any other off the shelf output-transfomer out there which is easy to get in europe??
I just saw at the edcor site Tx Price: 18Dollar and Shipping:45Dollar.
Maybe someone can make a suggestion! I have not really an idea about tubes!!

kind regards,
Wolfgang

wolfgang said:
I am thinking of doing the same. So how do you like the sound so far? Do you had time to do some recordings with it? What can you tell us about your findings?

Thanks.
I haven't done too much with it.  Last week I plugged a bunch of other instruments through it - Moog, wurlitzer, and some other things and also did a comparison with a Radial JDI.  All the tones sounded bigger and more alive through the tube DI (and I'm a big fan of the Radial).
I'm supposed to do some 808 samples this week to finish out a little collection and plan to do them with this DI.

I'd really like to do an A/B with the original piece and see how this one compares.  Still looking for someone local who's got one.

Thanks for you comment!

please keep us up to date with your tests!

I think i will build one! I have ordered most of the parts now. Only a Mains transformer is missing!

kind regards,
Wolfgang

wolfgang said:
One more Question to the tube-builders:

Is there any other off the shelf output-transfomer out there which is easy to get in europe??
I just saw at the edcor site Tx Price: 18Dollar and Shipping:45Dollar.
Maybe someone can make a suggestion! I have not really an idea about tubes!!

kind regards,
Wolfgang

I cannot think of a cheap direct European equivalent to the Edcor 5K:600, but you might be able to use the Carnhill 2291. This can be wired as 9K6:600 which would give you 3dB less gain than the Edcor. Or you could wire id 2k4:600 which would load the output stage a bit more but give you 3dB more gain than the Edcor.

Sowter do a 5K:600 output transformer the 8940 but it is not cheap.

Cheers

Ian

Thanks for your suggestions Ian!

I have already ordered the Edcor through Don Audio. He was so nice to add it to his recent order.

kind regards,
Wolfgang

Wow - that is really awesome!
I was gathering parts to build the same thing - I need to get on it.

Back