Studio Pic

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baadc0de

Well, after some blood sweat and tears, I guess it's finally "done". Sounding excellent, mostly due to Nenad Patkovic's acoustic designs (https://sl-si.facebook.com/NenadLP). It's a small songwriting / mixing affair with allowance for small tracking and overdub projects as well. Feels cosy and much larger than it actually is.

Thanks to everyone who helped me make the DIY gear pieces :) there is more but we only photo'd the almost full bottom rack. I'll get more pics up once we fill that up.

In the desk we have 2x LA3A 500 from Peter, DLA2A and 2x Jensamp from silent:arts, TB's TBDD, two peterc stereo s800, one stereo nite eq3d and a stereo 160vu from abe. In the upper rack there is a Fester's TG1 with Carnhill iron and 8x bruno2000 dual mid Neve 1084, modified to separate line and mic input transformers. The lower rack has two SSL 9000 and two JLM 99*MB which have been modified (butchered) to twin servo schematic with 990c's. Probably going to ditch the SSL and go for four twin servos. Love the clean but muscular tone with haufe in and lundahl out in it. Then we have Bernd's rude tube, PRR 176 stereo, two 1176 rev d with UTC A inputs, an 1176 rev a, two turret built pultec eqp1, two drip's redds, quite modified (input attenuator instead of between stage pot, no 0a2 in power section, +48V phantom power, termination mods..). There are also four channels worth of soundskulptor's stereo tape simulators, modified with tubefreak's advice to 12 voices instead of original 3 and four SSL 5000 re-racked EQs.

So yeah guys, anyone else got their place done recently? Care to share some pics?

gorgeous !!!!

Can you give approximate dimensions of the room ?
Ceiling seems to be low like mine.
I've got also the Opal's !!!
I've got myself a room approximately of that size that's why I'm interested
Do you have any frequency plots of the room ?

flaheu said:
gorgeous !!!!

Can you give approximate dimensions of the room ?
Ceiling seems to be low like mine.
I've got also the Opal's !!!
I've got myself a room approximately of that size that's why I'm interested
Do you have any frequency plots of the room ?

Um, before treatment, 2,6m X 4,8m X 6,2m. I do indeed have a frequency plot for the sweetspot at the desk:

Supposedly, the unfortunate dip @ 120Hz is generated by the oversized workdesk. Whoops :)

bruno2000 said:
That is so very VERY nice!
Best,
Bruno2000

Not as nice as your big rooms though ;) or even the truck, now THAT is insane!

warpie said:
Hey baadc0de, are these studio racks DIY too?

Yep. Made with middle atlantic rack rails (built like a tank, though hard to source in EU) and from real wood, mostly air dried spruce. I'm attaching some plans that I found on the internet and built from, but these are largely based on arg*sy racks.

Attachments

• Visio-Rack.pdf
    42 KB · Views: 115
Thanks for the graph and the rack plans !

respons graph is pretty good, I wonder how it translate in "reality".

Are you happy with the sound, was it worth the hassle ?

It's an inspiration to me, bravo  8)

flaheu said:
Thanks for the graph and the rack plans !

respons graph is pretty good, I wonder how it translate in "reality".

Are you happy with the sound, was it worth the hassle ?

It's an inspiration to me, bravo  8)

Well if you ever go through Ljubljana, I'd love to give you a demo of what it sounds like. So far it's had a very positive response from people around here. Soundwise I like it alot, very wide and deep, but I'm not really a sound engineer. The other person whom I've built this with does a lot of songwriting, tracking and mixing in there, day in day out and his feedback has been very positive through and through. I can say for certain about objective things - like preamp distortion, compression characteristics, l/r balance and especially delay / reverb are easily distinguishable. The subjective stuff I'm not so good about and maybe it's too early to say too. But I really like to work in there.

PS: About worth? Definitely, I'd do it again, maybe only in a bigger space. I'm planning another rack of gear and I have nowhere to put it.

very nice man, love the neve copies.
im busy putting together my spare room studio, it definetly wont be as nice as yours but hopefully iy will sound nice once complete. cant wait to get it done and start recording shit using all the gear ive built over the last years.
ill post some pics once ive finished.
mick

First off the room is beautiful!!!
Second, if you dont mind can i pick your brain about the SSL rack that you have there, i have a friend that's looking for that EXACT setup... Hes got the modules, just needs to make the PS and back plane.

Thanks for the praise people. Some of the next few pieces are giving me a headache and I hope to tacke the long line of mic projects as well.. I'll be sure to update as soon as possible teehee :)

On the SSL5000, I'll PM you my email, it will be easier to communicate that way. Still, the backplane I got from a seller so I didn't have to invent a lot and the add-on PSU is a JLM powerstation. Everything else was quite straightforward. Man, these EQs sound good, you can do so much or so little with them, awesome tools.

Back