logic pro X

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always liked logic since I try it... Many years with 9 pro... about 5 if I remember right... I'll give it a try.

JS

I'm curious to see how well Flex Pitch works. Pitching and region envelopes has always been very tedious with previous versions. If Logic handled regions the same way Cubase or Ableton did, it would be a dream to use.

new look and additional features to soft instruments like the their b3 kind of give it a garage band feel but cool. Editing is still a pain. I can't think of any software that comes close to editing as easily as  in pro-tools but so what. It's much cheaper then the others.

Slightly more user-friendly then Logic Pro 9, Bass amp sim is cool, new flex pitch feature is cool.

Downside?  (This is major.) Most of your plugins will stop working for the crime of not being 64-bits. Boo!

Andy Peters said:
It's not like Logic 9 hasn't been 64-bit for, oh, EVER.

:p Point taken, but they've put the smack-down and forced us old geezers into this decade by removing the option to use 32-bit mode altogether.

In real-world money, I've invested more $$ in my URS plugins than in Logic Pro. Upgrading the URS plugins to 64 bit is not a free upgrade. Obviously neither is Logic Pro X. So what would I be getting for the investment in a 64-bit upgrade?  No sound improvement in the 64-bit versions. Just that warm fuzzy feeling of knowing I'm in the latest version?  It goes head-to-head with the feel-bad feeling of checking account depletion that could be better used towards microphones...

so, what's the verdict?

my partner/engineer wants to upgrade and keeps bugging me... I'm perfectly happy with 9. the only thing that seems remotely useful is the upgraded pitch correction and honestly if a production relies on pitch correction its not one I particularly want to be working on, not that I avoid it, I just tend to like raw productions... anyways, I'd like opinions from people who've spent some time with it.... thanks ahead of time. p.l.u.r.

Here goes. I got it, took over 24 hours of downloading from the cloud to install all the extra content. It was well worth it. From a writing point of view things such as the drum plug in are very cool. In fact I have used that on a couple of projects where the original drum tracks were not up to par. It was great to replace drum sounds. The fact it can detect and make beats to the music you send it is also a useful function.  Perfect for writing and I have always liked mixing in logic, it just has more features.  I have yet to do any pitch correcting on a real project but they have expanded/upgraded that tool and it does work quite well in the tests I have done.

Other cool logic functions is doing something as simple as recording to a UBS 3 drive, try that pro tools.

I currently use an apollo 8 and have it combined with my laptop and logic for remote stuff.  It is working quite well.

I can't say I approve of the new GUI as more and more I get a garage band feel but looks aside it's pretty powerful and well worth the price of the upgrade. Plus you can get away with not having all the extra content and it still runs. You can then decide to download the extra content when you need it.

ruairioflaherty said:
pucho812 said:
Other cool logic functions is doing something as simple as recording to a UBS 3 drive, try that pro tools.

?  I do it all the time in Pro Tools.  What's the issue?

what version of pro tools?  mac or PC? last  version of pro tools used, I could only use USB for as a playback drive.  ???

Pro Tools 10HD, Intel Mac, OSX 10.8.2.  I've been using USB2 drives for big sessions for 4 or 5 years on my old PT8/g5/HD3 but since getting the new Retina MBP I have several USB3 drives that work really well.

Another really awesome feature in Logic Pro is you can record more than 2 channels of audio at a time. And Logic's sampling rates go up to 96k! Try that in ProTools.  8)

don't understand protools 10 records 16 track at once 96khz. I switched from Logic to back to Protools and I never opened Logic again, if I don't have to.

e.oelberg said:
don't understand protools 10 records 16 track

I don't understand protools 10 either. They took away the ability to do MIDI inside protools so now you have to use a separate program and sync them up.  That seems crazy to me. It can't do real time crossfades without writing to the hard drive so you have to wait just to hear it.  No onscreen metering, and it won't import .wav files. So many things about it are just wrong and backwards.

If I hadn't spent so much on these soundtools interfaces and accelerator cards, I'd move to something more modern like Cubase. Also you're wrong about 96k. It only has options for 32k, 44.1k, and 48k - while Steinberg and MOTU have been 96k for YEARS now. They're going to lose their lead as the industry standard if they don't play catch up fast!

kato said:
I don't understand protools 10 either. They took away the ability to do MIDI inside protools so now you have to use a separate program and sync them up.  That seems crazy to me. It can't do real time crossfades without writing to the hard drive so you have to wait just to hear it.  No onscreen metering, and it won't import .wav files. So many things about it are just wrong and backwards.

If I hadn't spent so much on these soundtools interfaces and accelerator cards, I'd move to something more modern like Cubase. Also you're wrong about 96k. It only has options for 32k, 44.1k, and 48k - while Steinberg and MOTU have been 96k for YEARS now. They're going to lose their lead as the industry standard if they don't play catch up fast!

Which version of Pro Tools are you talking about? (HD or Native?)

I mean, doing midi in PT sucks, but to drop it entirely is a different story..

kato said:

I have Pro Tools 10 open on my laptop as I type

- Midi is all there and better than ever? (What external program?)
- Crossfades are effectively instant
- I import .wav files all day every day for mastering in Pro Tools 10
- I have a 96K session open as I type

I guess there is some misunderstanding but just clarifying for non Pro Tools users.

ruairioflaherty said:
- I import .wav files all day every day for mastering in Pro Tools 10
- I have a 96K session open as I type

Why so much open hatred for ProTools I'll never understand. It's the industry standard. Try that other DAWS!

Back