Increasing Transformer Distortion

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris319

This may be a silly question, but is it possible to increase the distortion of a mic input transformer, say by connecting resistors between hot/cold and ground to load the circuit? I would like to add some transformery distortion to a mic. I'm just fooling around with this idea. I could use a software plug-in for this but where's the fun in that?

I have a whirlwind mic splitter with a transformer inside and Rightmark says its THD is 0.166%.

Thank you.

More load won't make the transformer distort... if you load it a EMF is created in the opposite direction of the driving one reducing the flux and won't help to get the core to it's saturation flux. You may have more histeresis distortion maybe but won't be significant... The THD of the combination will increase but coming from the mic.
  One way to increase distortion could be put some resistance in serie with input, but in a mic input it means higher noise (noticeable probaby) and loss of low end.
  If you run some DC across the secondary you will have more distortion (even harmonics) but the TX may be magnetized (could be reverted) or burn it's windings if too much current is applied (can't be reverted unless rewinding)

There are other stages where you can add distortion, output TX will get more current without burning out for example or can have more resistance in series without significant low end loss or noise.

JS

There are other stages where you can add distortion, output TX will get more current without burning out for example or can have more resistance in series without significant low end loss or noise.

Where?

If you have output transformer you could do it there, also you could have a box with some distortion at line level, driving hard a transformer, for example an input gain stage, an iron transformer, an attenuator and an output buffer. This way you can drive the tx as much as you want but not hitting to hard your converter.
Other option is to have different preamps, with different input transformers wich may have more distortion than others...

JS

Run a higher voltage.

Don't confuse a mike transformer for a flavor-box. You need control of transformer level independent of the performer's loudness.

Transformers distort bass. Trying to thicken the mids is probably futile.

Latest posts

Back