49 years later

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveP

Just recorded this Beatles track, yeah i know its corny ::)

1964: I got a guitar for my birthday and Beatles for Sale for Christmas, this was the first song I ever learnt.

So this week I finally recorded it as my homage.

It went through my diy mic pre and LA-2D into a Yamaha portable digital desk.
Fender Jazz bass, 12string acoustic, Les Paul copy and rest from Roland keyboard.
http://soundcloud.com/delayed-action/every-little-thing

Have fun
DaveP

I got my first electric guitar around that time. It was from Bell music mail order and cost £13 on the never never. I still have it. The neck is warped, the action is really bad and it hums a bit but I still use it now and again.

Cheers

Ian

Yes Ian they were inspiring times, I doubt if the forum would be here now if it wasn't for them.
They fired up an entire generation worldwide, hence homage.
best
DaveP

Cool! Your voice reminds me somewhat of Syd Barrett in his solo albums.

It is amazing how even the lesser known Beatle songs are still incredible.

Thanks Tomas,

Syd Barrett composed the first Pink Floyd numbers which I remember well and are some of my favourite tracks, it is probably just the London accent you are hearing.

The Beatles had the highest standards in what they released.  They seem pretty tame nowadays until you listen to what their contemporaries were releasing at the time, they were so far ahead it took the rest of the world a decade to catch up.

best
DaveP

Everything about the operations at EMI, to the expectations surrounding performances, songs, production...
were at a standard unheard of today. Just the way they did things, who was allow to touch what, how they were expected
to present themselves, etc.

People are so spoiled today. The Beatles only ever tracked live in recording (with some obvious overdubbing)...but many
of the songs needed 80+ takes to get 'right! (considering what they had to work with)

I'd like to see that kind of honest work ethic these days! Day in, day out...

Plus 1 on that,

I'm reading Lennons biography (Tim Riley) at the moment and their lifestyle was manic from 62 thro 66.  Constant touring, two films and yet they still found time to compose enough original songs to fill two albums/year plus No1 singles, astonishing.

No autotune, melodyne or computer manipulation, you had to find a way of actually producing the sound you wanted with filters or analogue electronics.  This is how I still record now and I use them as my benchmark, my work is far from perfect but I console myself in that it is nevertheless authentic.

best
DaveP

Absolutely. I take pride in the fact that I still like to do things the hard way...purposely.

The old fashioned way. Actually playing my instrument, and singing without autotune.  ::)

Back