Clipping/Distortion problem with GSSL/Turbo/2xSSC/CRC Compressor

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thepraqtice

Hi GroupDIY,

Having a wee problem with my GSSL + Turbo/2xSSC/CRC mods. Wondering if anyone can help me narrow it down.

I fired it up and fed a stereo signal through it last night for the first time and was greeted with some really overkill clipping distortion that seems to get hotter with higher input volume and make-up gain settings. Really over-saturated and with loud clicks/clips. It's there when the compression is "in" and "out" and is very sensitive to low input signal levels.

On closer inspection the heavily distorted signal only seems to appear on the right channel. When I pan the input signal hard left, the signal coming through the left output sounds great and can handle normal line level signal. But the heavily distorted signal is present on the right channel output.

When I pan the signal hard right, the right output sounds/compresses great, handles normal signal level and nothing comes through the left channel as expected.

When I pan to the centre the left channel in/out seems to function as normal but I get the same distorted clipping signal on the right channel.

I tried using completely different xlr cables and the problem is still there on the same side.

I swapped the left/right input/output opamps, vca opamps, main vca's and sidechain vca's (not all at the same time) to see if the distorted signal swapped sides, but it always stays on the right channel.

The distortion is present in both GSSL or Turbo modes and at all settings on SSC rotary switch when compression is in or out.

VCA's are THAT 2180B's with pin 4 snipped, trimmer resistors for distortion are still present.

I have a suspicion it might be ground issue as I've seen this mentioned in relation to other distortion problems in other threads but I might be way off. All of my input/output XLR's (Neutrik D type) have an extra lug next to pin 1, should these be connected to pin1?

Can anyone help narrow down the problem from this information?

Many thanks,

Sam

Have taken all opamps and checked voltage points, all are as expected.

I then put all the opamps in 1 by 1 and the voltage at L/R VCA pins 7 and 5 stayed at +15V/-15V until I put the NE5534's in the VCA section then pin 5 dropped to -10.7V on both sides but sidechain vca still measures -8.6V on pin 5 and +12V on pin 7.

Are Pin 5 on the main VCA's supposed to be -10.7V? Seems a little low as the datasheet says the need -15V.
Could there be a wrong resistor value in there somewhere maybe? Or have the NE5534's maybe been fried somewhere in the process?

Many thanks again

thepraqtice said:
Hi GroupDIY,

Having a wee problem with my GSSL + Turbo/2xSSC/CRC mods. Wondering if anyone can help me narrow it down.

I fired it up and fed a stereo signal through it last night for the first time and was greeted with some really overkill clipping distortion that seems to get hotter with higher input volume and make-up gain settings. Really over-saturated and with loud clicks/clips. It's there when the compression is "in" and "out" and is very sensitive to low input signal levels.

On closer inspection the heavily distorted signal only seems to appear on the right channel. When I pan the input signal hard left, the signal coming through the left output sounds great and can handle normal line level signal. But the heavily distorted signal is present on the right channel output.

When I pan the signal hard right, the right output sounds/compresses great, handles normal signal level and nothing comes through the left channel as expected.

When I pan to the centre the left channel in/out seems to function as normal but I get the same distorted clipping signal on the right channel.

I tried using completely different xlr cables and the problem is still there on the same side.

I swapped the left/right input/output opamps, vca opamps, main vca's and sidechain vca's (not all at the same time) to see if the distorted signal swapped sides, but it always stays on the right channel.

The distortion is present in both GSSL or Turbo modes and at all settings on SSC rotary switch when compression is in or out.

VCA's are THAT 2180B's with pin 4 snipped, trimmer resistors for distortion are still present.

I have a suspicion it might be ground issue as I've seen this mentioned in relation to other distortion problems in other threads but I might be way off. All of my input/output XLR's (Neutrik D type) have an extra lug next to pin 1, should these be connected to pin1?

Can anyone help narrow down the problem from this information?

Many thanks,

Sam

Hi
I had a similar problem ...
I connected a pin 1 of input or output to ground, I do not remember ....
Disconnect all inputs and outputs on the PCB from the case ...
For me it worked ...
I hope for you too ..
Ciao

Thanks ilfungo

Played around with ground wiring a bit and doesn't seem to have affected the issue too much. Same thing, very loud clipping distortion in right output only when a signal is present in the left input.

I've done my best to make a wiring diagram of how all the boards are connected now, incase anybody can see any problems with it that might cause this sort of this distortion? I thought it would also probably be useful to have a working diagram of the gssl in this configuration.

Here's link to wiring diagram:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4364451/GSSLTURBOSSCCRCLAYOUT.jpg

Also, I have snipped Pin 4 on the THAT 2180B VCA's I'm using. Is likely to cause this sort of distortion?
Should I have removed the various resistors/trimmers listed on this page or are those for different VCA's (2180LB)?

http://diy.fischerworks.com/gssl_vca.shtml

Many thanks in advance,

Sam

Hi
have you tried to remove the green wire from external side chain (1) to main PCB?

One other error in my clone wase flipped +/- on one channel....

Latest posts

Back