Hakko 808 Motor alternative - Repair ideas - backup station

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruce0

I have a Hakko 808, and love it.  But would love suggestions for a cheap (chinese) backup or alternative.

I recently had the suction power reduce for unknown reasons, and finally ordered a new-motor.  The hakko site doesn't sell them and everybody says they are out of stock but I found one.  Put it in and it is back to good as new.  BUT the motor cost me like $80!  It is a little DC motor with a standard mount.

I bought a whole second Hakko 808 for something $165 shipping included from frys.

I pulled apart the old motor, it is a DC motor with brushes all in good condition but 1 open winding.  Not about to rewind it (because it doesn't make audio and I only want to wind things that make sound).  But isn't there a source for motor's that is cheaper than that?

I opened up the Hakko, Turned it on, and measured the voltage across the motor and it is running 105V DC (shows 25V AC but I think that is just noise - motor has a polarized electrolytic across it for noise reduction I think).

Anyway  where can I get a 100V DC motor 1.2" in diameter approx 1.5" long (but there is room for more) with a 0.34" long shaft and shaft diameter is about 2.5mm.  The whole thing mounts using two small screws into the end of the DC motor on the drive shaft end (very common mounting for dc motors).

I have looked online and find lots the right size but they all seem to be 24V or less.

I have seen similar small DC motors in hair-dryers. At least they have some 1N400x diodes, no transformer, bigger than a thimble yet smaller than a soup-can. They seem to run on a tap on the heater coil, perhaps to get hi-lo speeds.

Ask your nice-hair friends for dead or unwanted hair-dryers and start stripping.

Thanks PRR.
The new motor is working, but the parts supply from Hakko is so scarce that I suspect that the next one that fails will have me rewinding the old one.  I am keeping the broken one just in case.

(On a side note:  Benjamin Franklin said that if you kept something with hopes of re-using it, with no immediate need, that you should be prepared to wait 7 years before re-using it.  A very useful metric in deciding what to keep, and it proves pretty accurate in my experience).

Here is a hair-dryer motor I had in the garage (less than 7 years).

Motor is 1.25" long and an inch diameter. Shaft appears to be 2mm, but is crusted with dust so I can't swear to it.

Attachments

• HairDryerFan.jpg
    HairDryerFan.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 9
Back