1176D Hairball/mnats problems

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markblasco

OK, well I think I may have bitten off more than I can chew with the Hairball 1176D kit.  I've probably already put in about 6 hours, and just finished with wiring up the power section.  I think this is one of those things that if I did it a second time would probably take less than half the time, but I don't know if I'll ever get that far.

Anyways, I wired up the power section per the instructions on the hairball site.  I measured to find the DC voltage at the spot where I'm supposed to get 30 (right at the 1w resister), and I'm getting 0.  I measured where I'm supposed to get 10, and I'm getting 30.  Can someone give me some suggestions as to what might be wrong?  I know my soldering ability is probably just barely good enough to do this project, so if that sounds like a bad solder somewhere I don't know that I would be surprised.

I'd appreciate any suggestions.  Honestly at this point I'm just crossing my fingers that I don't break this thing past the point where I can get someone else to fix it.  I've built some guitar pedals from kits in the past, but for some reason this seems a million times harder.

OK, nevermind, I forgot to actually turn the switch on before testing the voltage.  Once I flipped the switch things seem to be working correctly.

Hello everyone,

I build a hairball 1176 rev D, after some troubleshooting it works great.
the only thing that doesn't work is the release knob.
I can definitely hear the difference in attack when I turn the attack knob.
but when I turn the release knob nothing changes, not in the audio and not on the meter.
the release just the same length

i've tested all the voltages and they seem to be normal.
and as I said, I use it all the time, it compresses real nicely, but I just can change the release

does anyone have an idea what could be wrong?

Willem

I think so yes,
it is the same as the output pot and the same as in the pictures. (it says aplha 3b4)
and the resistor is also definitely the right value
and I triplechecked the wiring diagrams. so the wiring should be good.

ok that was the problem.
they looked the same, but they're not.

switched m and now it works perfect.

thank you.
you don't know how long I didn't know what to do about this problem haha

Latest posts

Back