Hybrid OpAmp Test Shootout

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rlaury

Hi Group:
I've been working on my hybrid Op Amp off and on for the last year now and decided to do
some comparison test. I've let some of the best producers and engineers in Nashville listen to
it VIA a API lunch Box with a pair of Hardy 990C loaded, or API 2520 loaded pre-amps.
No one but myself knew which module had what Op Amp in it. The other 2 channels had the hybrid installed.
The response was almost equally divided between all test. Some liked the API or Hardy. Some preferred the hybrid.
The hybrid is not just an op-amp driving a pair of transistors. It has precision temperature compensated  current
sources along with some other neat tricks that I've incorporated. I'm not at liberty to disclose the schematic at the moment.
Maybe later.

Attached is a photo of the test setup and the data that was collected. I tested 4ea Hardy's and 2ea. API 2520's.
I would welcome any comments or suggestions in the data.  Maybe more test? Any thoughts on DOA sounding
as good or better than a Hybrid?

The data is in the next post.

Thanks all!

RonL

Attachments

• HV_OPAmp1.jpg
    HV_OPAmp1.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 64
rlaury said:
Here's the data along with the test fixture schematic.
I don't understand the SNR figures. Your Nash 16V, with -94.77 dBu(A) and 114.5 SNR suggests a max level of +20.2dBu, which seems correct to me.
Now the figures for the 990C-1, with -98.2 dBu (A) and 107.4 SNR suggests a max level of only +9.2 dBu. This suggests a faulty sample or wrong implementation.

What are you trying to achieve with your DOA, which would make an operational difference with the already innumerable DOA's in existence?

Thanks Abby for the response.
I was suspicious with SNR of 990C-1 and 990C-3 when I was populating the Excel spread sheet.
I apparently measured SNR at the 0.0 dBu level and not at the .01% distortion point. I have corrected them.

As to what I hope to achieve, I started about 2 years ago developing a DOA for an OEM product that required
an output stage with enough current  to drive a 75 ohm transformer primary.  Yep, I could have bought any one
of the MANY DOA's but that cut deeply in to the profit margin. So I decided to develop my own. I designed and prototyped
several. A BJT and a JFET version. I had some success, but by the time I matched components and the other labor intensive
and expensive stuff, I would be better off buying something already made.

I was "lucky" enough to be best friends with Dave Baskind. One of the B's in B&B audio. Hey gave me some of the B&B hybrids
that were supposedly developed for API and that API built and used during the 70's. It was simply an op-amp driving a pair of
output transistors. Dave and I talked about continuing development of the original B&B circuit before he passed away in 2001
I have since developed a new version of that circuit. It requires very little matching and is stable, reliable and almost bullet proof.
and I also have a +/-24 V version.

So that's my mission. "To develop a hybrid that's economical to produce and can compete sonically and reliably with the DOA's"
Sorry for the long reply but I thought others may be interested in my craziness  too. :)

RonL

rlaury said:
Thanks Abby for the response.
I was suspicious with SNR of 990C-1 and 990C-3 when I was populating the Excel spread sheet.
I apparently measured SNR at the 0.0 dBu level and not at the .01% distortion point. I have corrected them.

As to what I hope to achieve, I started about 2 years ago developing a DOA for an OEM product that required
an output stage with enough current  to drive a 75 ohm transformer primary.  Yep, I could have bought any one
of the MANY DOA's but that cut deeply in to the profit margin. So I decided to develop my own. I designed and prototyped
several. A BJT and a JFET version. I had some success, but by the time I matched components and the other labor intensive
and expensive stuff, I would be better off buying something already made.

I was "lucky" enough to be best friends with Dave Baskind. One of the B's in B&B audio. Hey gave me some of the B&B hybrids
that were supposedly developed for API and that API built and used during the 70's. It was simply an op-amp driving a pair of
output transistors. Dave and I talked about continuing development of the original B&B circuit before he passed away in 2001
I have since developed a new version of that circuit. It requires very little matching and is stable, reliable and almost bullet proof.
and I also have a +/-24 V version.

So that's my mission. "To develop a hybrid that's economical to produce and can compete sonically and reliably with the DOA's"
Sorry for the long reply but I thought others may be interested in my craziness  too. :)

RonL
You don't need to be sorry. Your reply is very valuable in the sense that it summarizes quite well your design brief. Much more valuable than the usual "because I could " or "because I wanted to try".

Latest posts

Back