Roland DEP-5 Repair

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siegfried Meier

Hey guys,

I have a unit here that's not seeing any input signal at all, nor is it giving me any output.  The meter works, as it spikes for a second on startup while the unit is in bypass for 7 seconds.  Checked most of the obvious things such as the +4 switch, connectors and settings on the front.  Anyone have any ideas on where to look?  Anything on these things notorious for dying?

Thanks for any help!
Sig

I saw a bunch of goop under a few caps, thought they might be leaking but it appears it was some black glue they used back then to keep 'em in place.

I opened it up, cleaned and wiggled the pots/input jacks and it seems to have partially come back to life.  Gonna clean some more and see where I get.

Thanks guys!
Sig

Anyone know where to get those input/output jacks on this thing?  I think those are still faulty, no amount of cleaning will help them.  They're a bit different than what I've seen before - would like to get something that I know fits in here.

Thanks!
Sig

Not sure if it suffer's from the psu caps drying out - as the spx 90's and other of that age do,
so check the voltages , hope it's an easy fix .

I've contacted Roland - waiting to hear back.

I did resolder all the jack connections, didn't seem to help much.  The deoxit Pro Gold stuff seemed to do the most, but it was still not perfect...the damn thing sounds pretty amazing though when the jacks were just sitting right - yes yes, I know it's old - I'm talking 80's lofi amazing.

Voltages seem to be ok, and it sounds great when it was working right.  The battery is the solder in CR2032 type - anyone know of a solder in clip replacement for these that I can purchase?

Thanks!
Sig

Roland Canada has a few leftover parts from back in the day - definitely discontinued, so when they're gone they're gone.  Think I might pick up a few more just in case...

Output jack set (#13449264 @ $8.74)
Input jack set (#13449265 @ $10.36)

You may find that the jacks are more generic than you thought. It is always possible that they were not made just for Roland. If you can establish a pattern (body dimensions and pin positions) it might be possible to find an equivalent from the parts list of another product, whether it be from Roland, Yamaha, Tascam, etc ...

So I got the new jacks and installed them, and while it's a little better, I'm still getting random crackling and dropping out of the signal - mostly hearing it on the left (A) output.  I've cleaned the +4/-20 switch, as it seemed funky too, but still not it.  I've examined the board so closely, and I cannot see anything else that would cause this.

Could an opamp or those relays on the input be the problem?  It's so intermittent when it cuts out and comes back in, can't seem to figure this one out at all...

Any advice much appreciated.
Thanks!
Sig

I have one that does the same thing.  I think its the relays.  They have something to do with +4 -10 operation.  I was thinking of hardwire the relays to see if it becomes stable.  There are service manuals floating around as well I have one I got somewhere on the web. 

They have some interesting sounds , they are just noisy for some things.

It's worth spraying any PCB interconnect headers and ribbon sockets as well. After that you might be into the realm of searching for dry joints or breaks on the PCB.

If you have scope you can probe for where the intermittency occurs. Otherwise, tapping the board and gently prying the interconnects is the way to localise intermittent signal path. If you can narrow down the area you just might be able to spot the fault visually. Sometimes a component lead might be fractured, or there might be a hairline crack in one or more of the PCB traces if the unit has ever been dropped.

The relays actually get a little warm...that also seems unusual.

I'm thinking these may also be the problem.  Does anyone have replacement part numbers for them?

Thanks!
Sig

Yes, probably the relays ...

Siegfried Meier said:
The relays actually get a little warm...that also seems unusual.

They will be permanently activated while the unit is on unless it is in bypass. Slightly warm is normal and OK, HOT is not good. Check the relay supply voltage (probably zener regulated) before replacing the relays. Don't be too worried about the coils, it is the switch contacts that go dodgy, hence the audio dropouts.

Does anyone have replacement part numbers for them?

Again, probably quite generic (make and model printed on the covers?) but Roland can tell you and will probably have them.

fazer said:
I have one that does the same thing.  I think its the relays.  They have something to do with +4 -10 operation.  I was thinking of hardwire the relays to see if it becomes stable.  There are service manuals floating around as well I have one I got somewhere on the web. 

They have some interesting sounds , they are just noisy for some things.

Any idea where exactly I could find one, or any chance you still have a copy (I've hunted around a bunch but still haven't found a working link to one). I've had one of these things sitting in my junk pile for years that someone gave me because it didn't work, finally thought I'd get around to bringing it back to life out of curiosity.

P.S. Do I win any kind of award for the least interesting/oldest thread bump of all time?  :D

I have it.  6.5 meg and I can't host it.  PM and I'll email. 

I just sent it to Ethan to post.  Check the Tech docs maybe tomorrow.

Hey guys!

Just only now getting back to this.  Any success here rewiring it?

I spoke to Roland - no one had any clue as to what those relays were, so replacing them has proven difficult…

Where can I get that download file?

Thanks!
Sig

Latest posts

Back