Thiersch STW7

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought they were around $360.  This is what is shown on the recordinhacks 'capsule' section atleast.  50 for the holder maybe?  You can check his website...

Cheers,
Seth

Am I right in saying that these are copies of neumann M7 capsule & skinned by a guy who skins capsules for neumann ........thanks. not a bad price I guess...

He has quite a lot of experience.  If you search Thiersch capsules his website will show up and he lists his professional experience. 

I don't think you can go wrong with his capsules.  Many speak very highly of his work.

Yes they are the same. Or had better be otherwise they are not correct. All of the ones both Blue and Red Line are identical looking and sound similar both sides.  This is why they cost so much and there is usually a waiting list of at least two to four weeks.

If you check the backplate,  one side always has 'back' written on it.

saint gillis said:
I have some red-line ones, and looking closely at them, you can distinguish on one side some little round "holes", and the other side is more uniform..

You're right!
Something quite strange is that I bought from Thiersch a pair of stw7 red-line, one of them has both side quite uniform, something like that :
cek12.jpg

The 2nd capsule has got one face uniform like above and the other with small rounds like that :
RK87-250.jpg

RuudNL said:
Did they combine two halves of different capsules?!  ;)
heh alright I took random pictures on internet just to illustrate what I meant...

So at first I didn't realised that the "back" was indicated on the capsule slice, so I tried booth and wired the side that sounded the brightest... Then I checked the capsule and I realised I've wired the "back", so I wired the "front" and indeed it sounds darker (maybe more presence also), does it make sense? (it was on a fet U47)

There is no front and back to an M7 capsule... If the capsule was built and skinned correctly both sides should sound the same.. Especially the decibel level. I would send a note to Thiersch and explain what your seeing/ hearing... That being said the hole pattern is different from one side to the other but is the same number of blind holes on each side. The pattern is actually dictated by the need to have a 4mm deep blind holes Ina 6mm thick price of brass. The holes need to miss each other..

Eric

I have a Thiersch Red Line M7 in my MK- U47. It sounds the same on both sides (in omni).
When you are testing the mic, remember that when you switch it to omni you will loose 5-6 dB.  That's normal.

Sure, I tested it on a fet U47, so no omni mode, I just tried both sides one after the other, they didn't sound the same and the back had few dbs less, I ll try the 2nd capsule I have asap

saint gillis said:
Sure, I tested it on a fet U47, so no omni mode, I just tried both sides one after the other, they didn't sound the same and the back had few dbs less, I ll try the 2nd capsule I have asap

My two Thiersch M7's a red and a blue line installed in a tube 47 circuit sound the same back to front, I would suggest sending it back to Mr. Thiersch for examination.

Also, an observation that will make absolutely no difference to your problem.

The M7 capsule was discontinued in Neumann production after ca 1960.

The U47 FET microphone never used a M7 capsule, always a K47 type capsule.

Mark

saint gillis said:
On the front side I can't distinguish the blind holes, on the "back" they are visible.. But I got a 2nd capsule on which I can't see the blind holes on any side..
There's a couple of possible reasons for this.

There could be more Gold deposited on one diaphragm.  This is likely with small makers doing their own vacuum deposition but "shouldn't" be a problem.

More serious is the spacing of diaphragm  from backplate is different.  This IS serious and would result in the sort of problems you describe.

Measure the capacitance of each diaphragm to the backplate.  They should be very close.

Latest posts

Back