Help figuring out multi oscilloscope and generator setup using AD/DA and plugins

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

critterkllr

Hey guys, I was wondering if I could get some input on my situation. At my work, we run a quick functionality test on equipment. We don't repair or do extensive testing in house. If there is any sign of a nonfunctional component, it is sent directly to the manufacturer for repair. We're just looking for a system to quickly show us if a channel is sending a signal on one box and receiving on another.

The Components:

Each system has an output box with 32 channels that send a 0-200mA signal on each channel. On average, we don't go above 50mA in normal use. The signal is not constant. It is an on off signal sent with a duration of 1 ms on and 1 ms off.

Each system also has an amplifier/input box that acquires 32 channels of waveforms. The amplifier sensitivity is between .1 uV/division to 5 uV/division with an input impedance of 50 MOhms. The recording range is .1 Hz to 30 kHz.

Current Process:

Currently, we use an oscilloscope to verify that each output channel is sending the correct signal. We also use a signal generator to send a waveform to the amplifier box to verify that it is acquiring waveforms correctly. When we started this process, we tested around 75 of these systems a year. 6 years later we are now testing around 600. With the current process, one channel at a time is taking up too much time and flooding us with work. This should be a small part of the job, but it is becoming the main part.

The Goal:

To come up with an all in one testing system to cut down on time. Since I'm experienced with recording, my mind went straight to using an AD/DA convertor (Antelope Orion 32) and software to accomplish all of this.

I would create a testing template in pro tools with 32 channels. I would create an adapter/probes to connect the 32 output channels to the AD/DA's input. Simultaneously record all of the 32 channel's output waveforms on to each track. I would add an oscilloscope plugin to each channel if necessary.

I would add a signal generator plugin to each of the 32 channels or have a prerecorded signal on each track. I would create another adapter/probes to connect the AD/DA's 32 outputs to the amplifier. I would then use the proprietary software (on a different computer) for the equipment to verify that each channel is receiving a signal properly.

Besides cutting down testing time tremendously, it would be great to have a 32 channel AD/DA handy for other uses.

Concerns/Questions:
Is this a remotely reliable way to measure these components? Am I looking at possibly damaging the AD/DA convertor? If so, could I build something in the adapters/probes that will protect the AD/DA? Or at least stay within specific perimeters? The manual doesn't specify the output voltage (only the amperage), so I am waiting on a response from the manufacturer.

Okay, I just heard back that the output voltages are +/- 400V AC. I've read that an AD/DA can take a maximum of 5V. So I would definitely need to cut that down a lot.

Latest posts

Back