Hypex Class D amps and PSU's

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm using a UcD400 based amp for mastering for about 6 years and I love them!
I'm using a linear PSU and for some reason right now I would still choose it instead of a switched PSU.
The service of Hypex is outstanding BTW!

Hey dagoose, you should consider doing the upgrades to your 400ucd modules.  I have been told by trusted ears that it's a worthy upgrade.  I'm not sure if it's more then just adding his regulators to the boards or not.

What speakers are you using?

Do you guys think adding more capacitance to the switching supply could be a bad thing?  The linear supply I am comparing against has about twice the capacitance as the switching supply. 

Thoughts?

dandeurloo said:
Hey dagoose, you should consider doing the upgrades to your 400ucd modules.  I have been told by trusted ears that it's a worthy upgrade.  I'm not sure if it's more then just adding his regulators to the boards or not.

What speakers are you using?
Upgrading to what? Ncore? I have plans but I hear various stories about that. I still didn't find anyone that actually AB'd both so i'm in doubt.
I'm using B&W nautilus 802's.

Do yours have the Hypex discrete regulators?  I was told that was a worth upgrade in comparisons.  My friends both built the same amps and one has them and the other doesn't.  So they did a nice AB.  The regulators did help.

Once I land on the PSU design I want to use I will build a Ncore and do a AB.  I do find it hard to believe that they can get much better then the already are. 

dandeurloo said:
Do yours have the Hypex discrete regulators?  I was told that was a worth upgrade in comparisons.  My friends both built the same amps and one has them and the other doesn't.  So they did a nice AB.  The regulators did help.

Once I land on the PSU design I want to use I will build a Ncore and do a AB.  I do find it hard to believe that they can get much better then the already are.

In class D amps the output is the product of the PS voltage times the PMW duty cycle so artifacts on the PS, need to be reduced by negative feedback in the amplifier loop. Regulating the PS to minimize these PS artifacts makes less for the amp feedback loop to correct.

JR

dandeurloo said:
John what are your thoughts on adding more capacitance to the switching supply.

I wouldn't waste my time second guessing Bruno, but on the specific question of output quality of a voltage regulator, the input capacitance mainly matters when there isn't enough to prevent ripple voltage from allowing the regulator to drop out. Otherwise there could  be a small linear improvement if some other mechanism isn't dominating the noise floor.

Such effects should be measurable with conventional bench testing, or not.

JR

JohnRoberts said:
I wouldn't waste my time second guessing Bruno

This. If more capacitance would have improved the Hypex SMPS Bruno would have it there.

Re the Ncore vs UCD debates.  I've mastered on both for months at a time but never had them in the same space for a strict AB.  The Ncore is definitely better but I'm not sure that I'd want consider the upgrade to be an essential one as the UCD (mine were the HXR upgraded) are already so good.

That said you can sell UCD for a decent price, especially if they are in a nice chassis, so the upgrade costs are minimal.

Back